Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Acetal slide bearings in extrusion to replace smooth rods

Posted by rayhicks 
Acetal slide bearings in extrusion to replace smooth rods
March 04, 2014 04:01PM
I had a look in here a while ago to see if anyone had tried acetal slides running on the extrusion itself, instead of additional smooth rod with ball bearings, but didn't find mention. I tried this out on my Ormerod today, and first impression is very positive (much quieter at high speeds than ball bearings for sure much too early to tell about longevity though smiling smiley). I posted pictures and some info in the Ormerod section [forums.reprap.org], but I guess here is a better place to post. The bearings I used are these [www.aluminium-profile.co.uk] cut into three, costing around 45p per piece.

I'm planning on using a similar arrangement for the other two axes (Ive only changed Y initially) and will post updates if there's any interest. If people have tried this before, did they find problems in the long run?

Ray
Re: Acetal slide bearings in extrusion to replace smooth rods
March 04, 2014 04:11PM
Check out the foldarap/mondrian. Both use printed linear slides on aluminum extrusion.

There are a couple of threads around here about others using UHMW PE (i think that's what I was) and some other materials.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
March 04, 2014 05:58PM
Thanks for the pointer to FoldaRap Greg - looks like they're using printed rack as well as plastic slide bearings - I'm planning on testing out some acetal rack I've bought from Farnell pretty soon (seems to be cheaper than pulley/belt combo, but not as cheap as print it yourself!)

Cheers

Ray
March 04, 2014 11:00PM
Yea, I dont think I have seen a printer use rack and pinion yet. So you'll be on the bleeding edge. It is definitely nice since it is something you can print, but I think buying is much better because you will probably get better accuracy and sizing.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
March 05, 2014 01:12PM
gmh39
Yea, I dont think I have seen a printer use rack and pinion yet. So you'll be on the bleeding edge. It is definitely nice since it is something you can print, but I think buying is much better because you will probably get better accuracy and sizing.

[forums.reprap.org] thumbs up

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
March 05, 2014 01:35PM
Nice -thanks for the link Cameron,

Ray
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login