Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The BHK 18 Build

Posted by MatthewBasaraba 
The BHK 18 Build
December 27, 2013 09:46AM
I have a small ForceForge Creator 9x6x6 printer, has limited many items I am wanting to build so I decided I would design and build my own machine, 18"^3

I have built several CNC Plasmas for presonal use and for selling, thought this would be no big deal. The frame design and build have been easy, I am mechanical, but the electronics side, not so much. There were options I wanted this machine to have over others.

1. Size
2. Production (Nothing I hate worse than needing 10 parts and having to print them out 1 at a time, an hour each. Or a 10 piece model that takes 10 hours)
3. Milling

After coming up with the idea to build one I wanted to recruit some help. I have a buddy here at work that has his own mill and lathe at home and got him involved and another guy here at work that bought the same printer I have and we have been working together on them. Machinist guy to make some parts I would need, other guy is decent with electronics, my weak point.

So here was my initial design. I dont have the Trapizoidal Screws in the drawing, there will be 2 running Z.

Originally was going to use 1x1 aluminum tubing, I can get it at work for $49.50 for 42 feet, however, I spoke to the guys at Fastenal and they made me a great deal on some extrusion and got 290" for $87. Going with extrusion seemed the best option since it is so much easier to mounting and no drilling or anything required.

I decided that I would print many of my linear mounts and bearing blocks for my demo and once it was all finalized we would machine them out of aluminum stock that I have.

When deciding on my electronics and motors I got with my buddy and he share some links from eBay for a RAMPS 1.4 kit, Ramps Kit and I bought it. I asked specifically if the motors I was looking at would work and got a yes so ordered these motors... Motors. After reading on the site here I found that it might be a huge PITA to use these motors with my board, amps of motors will heat up the controllers too much? I thought well maybe I can just replace the controllers with a set that could handle more draw but then I dont know what or where to look and how to connect them, nice thing about the kit was it all just plugged in, simple for someone with my electronic shortcomings.

I might not need the bigger motors for printing with a single extruder but I am looking at wanting to mount multiple extruders to run simultaniously so that mass production of parts could be achieved, and the milling is a must for what I am trying to achieve.

Here is a picture of my frame I have constructed with my Y axis motor mounted. Can see my itty bitty ForceForge swallowed by my big dog.

I have been at a stand still waiting on my linear bearings now for almost a month. I get the excuse of Christmas shipping has everything delayed, however, I ordered other parts from China 3 days after my bearings and recieved them in less than 10 days. Hopefully they will be here today.

If anyone can please give some advice on motors/electronics I would greatly appreciate it.

I have $200 worth of boards/motors that I am not sure I can use now and that isnt real pleasing since I dont have a ton of money to blow. If I can use one or the other it would be great. If there are 17s that could be used for what I want with these boards great, if there is another board setup I should buy to go with the motors I have, great. I also need advice on what/where to buy a decent power supply. I was going to use one out of my gaming pc but looks like they are a PITA to make work and I dont want to modify one, I just want one that will work.

LINKS to things I should look at are hugely appreciated.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login