Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prism Mendel

Posted by Buback 
Prism Mendel
December 23, 2011 12:22PM
I just wanted to announce here that I've put up my redesign of the Mendel on the wiki. I've named it the Prism.
It has the same mechanics as a Sells Mendel, but with all new printed parts and 20x20 extrusion.

[reprap.org]
Re: Prism Mendel
December 30, 2011 02:08AM
awesome! I'm curious to see the stability + scalability comparisons b/w your design and a mendelmax; there are some similarities between the two (which isn't necessarily a bad thing.) a few questions....
what sort of stable print speeds are you getting? also, a notable difference is yr z-axis motors being mounted on the bottom - have you found that keeping the z-steppers low on the frame helps w/ stability? finally, is there a reason the threaded z-axis rods are on the inside of the frame vs. the outside? (the outside position could give a cm or two on the x-axis...maybe?)

good design - thanks.

December 30, 2011 11:10AM
Yes I hope the similarities between our designs will lead to a bunch of co-compatible parts, such as a filament spool that can attach to 2020, etc. The Prism might be a bit easier to scale, since there is only one extrusion length to increase/decrease. On the other hand, i'm not going to stand on top of my prism, even if it can take it! :-)

I'm not printing very fast, but that's because I'm behind the curve with my extruder and x axis. The frame can take much faster speeds than I can print, and i've been printing parts to upgrade. I have noticed better print quality with the prism over the mendel at the same speed, though.

I've never had a prusa, so I can't comment on the stability aspect. it does make sense to me that you don't want a lot of mass far away from a "vibration absorber" like a desk.

The z leadscrew would allow you some extra z travel, but would break compatibility with every x axis. Also, my biggest goal was to move as much as possible inside the frame. It would be easy to reconfigure the parts i've designed in order to do what you suggest, but you'll need to design new x end pieces. you will also either want to move the z motor mount to the outside, or get a shorter Nema 17 so that the y carriage and bed won't hit it, as it currently would. again, that's be easy enough to do, but it wasn't a goal of this iteration.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login