Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

repRappers in Pennsylvania

Posted by maitri982 
Re: repRappers in Pennsylvania
February 29, 2012 03:24PM
TechGeek, York is about 2 and 1/2 hours away from Levittown. If you don't mind the travel, you are welcome to stop by. I'm making progress on the space. Hopefully, it will be useable soon.
February 29, 2012 04:05PM
I would take the bus so I'ld likely never show up then... However I have another question. If I make something in Google Sketch-up, then send it to someone's Email who is within reasonable shipping distance to my address, (see bottom of reply) would that someone be willing to make it for me? Please? Also sorry but I only have about $15 to $41 at the moment, so I don't think I can pay in cash for it to be printed. I can however trade for it, as I have a lot of useful things that I'm not using.
March 31, 2012 08:35AM
I am in York with a fair-weather Prusa.
May 01, 2012 12:30AM
Hi all!
I just sold a bunch of my R/C cars, boats, planes & even a RTF quad so that I could finally get a Prusa Mendel RepRap.

I have a problem though. The items I'm selling are not of high value, and I have a little less than $230 max to get, and sustain a RepRap for the next 8 plus weeks until I get my first job. Also I typically have $15 per week allowance, which sometimes is less than $15.

What I need is help getting the parts for a SAE Prusa Mendel. This includes everything that is required to make and operate a Prusa Mendel that I don't already have in the list below:

• 1x 2560 Arduino MEGA
  • More to come as I get parts...

Here is my offer: I'll pay for shipping if you have some extra parts that can be used for a SAE Prusa Mendel and if it is requested I'll try and compensate you for sending the part(s).

The goal is to constantly make the required Printed Parts needed to make more repraps and sell them on eBay with $5 worth of profit to aid me should I print a defective part.
June 13, 2012 01:36PM
I am new to reprap and am wondering if anyone in the York, PA area has a functioning unit that can print parts
June 13, 2012 05:57PM
I'm in York and printing
July 05, 2012 01:14PM
In Delaware and close to printing with my Prusa (if I can only get the bed leveled!)
November 05, 2012 02:04PM
I'm another Yorker, living off Leader Heights. While it's been nearly 8 months since this post has seen activity, I'd love to get in touch with anyone around here who has a RepRap working. I've got a Stratasys uPrint Plus at work, and I'm looking to pick up a TK-0 when they become available. I've got a solid background in electronics and embedded software, so if anyone has any questions about getting some of that stuff running, I might be able to swing by and see if there's anything I can help with.
November 12, 2012 04:35PM
I'm in York, I have a Huxley but haven't worked on it for several months. I broke a few printed parts and just need replacements printed. But all of the electronics and hot end are working.
November 14, 2012 05:25PM
I'm now in the willow grove area, however I can go almost anywhere that septa's transit methods connect up to.
I'm on bus route 55 which goes to and from Doylestown & center city via the 611 major road.

If anyone is within walking distance of 611 let me know, as I'm settling in with my first job and want to set up a 3D printer which I do not have parts for yet besides a few microcontrollers.
November 15, 2012 11:14AM
@TECH GEEK - I'll be in the Philly area this weekend. I'll bring my printer. I'm driving, so I can meet you any where that is good for you. I may also try to visit Hive76, if they have something going on this weekend. You're welcome to join me.
July 04, 2013 02:09PM
Well, I live in Jersey but my son lives in PA. We will be running the 3D Printers Village again at the New York Makers Faire in September. We can offer free admission and parking if you are interested in displaying your printer. We will have 3 or 4 of ours there on display (including our recently finished Signature Prusa Mendel) and will be able to answer questions and help anyone. Come see the largest non-commercial exhibit at the show! Bring your cameras and questions!

November 29, 2013 11:10AM
So I finally got a 3d printer, but it would seem that I got a kit that requires more tuning than what I know how to do. If anyone is interested in a fully assembled pursa i3 3d printer 8"x8"x7", w/ all electronics (prinrboard, 8" heated bed, j-head, and 30A 12v PSU) and 1kg of PLA, for $350 let me know at sgermiller10@gmail.com. Local pick up only. Also sold as-is as I have now idea why the edges are warping up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2013 12:46PM by TECH GEEK.
December 02, 2013 03:36PM
I am in Blue Bell, PA (Norristown Montgomery county)
I have built and use an Ordbot Hadron
I am working on building other 3D printers.

I would support a 3D printing group

winking smiley
December 02, 2013 04:00PM
I'm in York, PA and have a Prusa i2 and a Huxley. And also starting to print parts the RepRap Simpson GUS.
January 12, 2014 02:03PM
I'm in kutztown and building my first 3d printer. a kossel mini smiling smiley
March 30, 2014 04:57PM
Hi guys,
Im in Pottstown PA am just starting to build my first printer. I have my control in the mail and am planning out my next step. Not so good with the progamming and software, but will be fine with the mechanics. Anyone nearby up and running? Would be interested in hearing thoughts on what style to build and so on.
Thanks
April 01, 2014 02:26AM
I'm down in the Doylestown area. It's about an hour southeast of Pottstown. I'm up and running with 2 Prusa I3's and working on a Kossel Mini right now.
April 01, 2014 01:45PM
Hi from Norristown. Just ordered my kit and can't wait for it to arrive.
April 14, 2014 12:12AM
Hi All,

I am in Downingtown. I have a MakerFarm Prusa i3 up, printing and tuned. I posted a simple upgrade "one hand bed leveling captive nuts" that should work with any printer that is using the MK1 heatbed. [www.thingiverse.com]

I am working on my next 2 printers. I have already printed all the parts for [reprap.org] TS printers, just waiting on electronics. I don't want to salvage my i3 just yet. I might need it to reprint some parts.

I am interested in finding any 3d groups or hanging out with other 3ders. If anyone needs some reprap parts printed to get started let me know.

aBrainDump
April 25, 2014 05:04PM
I need some help getting my K8200 working properly. It's assembled and tested, but can't figure out why the X and Y axes skip. Posted at the Velleman forums, but not so much feedback yet. I'm close to Downingtown @aBrainDump...just up 202.
April 25, 2014 09:05PM
ntwrkguru
I need some help getting my K8200 working properly. It's assembled and tested, but can't figure out why the X and Y axes skip. Posted at the Velleman forums, but not so much feedback yet. I'm close to Downingtown @aBrainDump...just up 202.

Axis skipping can have several reasons:
- overheated stepper drivers (are they hot to the touch when they're skipping?)
- Stepper drivers not turned up high enough (motors don't get enough power)
- You're trying to drive them too fast (stepper motors have less torque, the faster they move, so if you go too fast they may skip)

I have a very unscientific method for adjusting the drivers:
- turn the drivers on, so the lock the motor. Try to turn the motor by hand. You should *just* be able to turn the motor. If you can't turn it, you have too much juice going in. If it turns easily you don't have it set strong enough.

ST
April 25, 2014 09:20PM
Hot damn, it worked. Too much voltage to the motors. Kept trying Phillips bits and none worked. Switched up to a 1mm straight bit and got the pots trimmed down to .5V. Don't want to jinx it, but so far...so good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2014 09:48PM by ntwrkguru.
May 01, 2014 10:37PM
Figured I'd post this here before trying the broader forums. 2 issues:

1) When homing, it goes where it should. Lower left corner, although the nozzle actually pushes the bed a bit (yes, I've adjusted the z-endstop switch. Even with this behavior, once it starts printing, the skirt and first 3 layers print with the nozzle a little over .5mm from the bed. After the initial layers, it prints with the nozzle much closer to the previous layers. It must be a setting I'm missing, but I can't find it!

2) My layers (throughout) look like stacks of filament. They stick to the layers above and below, but you can certainly see the individual filaments. Basically, it looks nothing like pictures of prints I see elsewhere. Also, the sides (instead of being smooth) are ridged. It's a neat effect...except when I prefer a smooth(er) surface. Again, most likely a Slic3r configuration issue, but I can't seem to find it.

For reference, I'm running a K8200, Sanguinololu, Repetier and Slic3r on a Mac.
May 04, 2014 09:38AM
Check to make sure your bed is level. You might have the Z-axis zeroed at a low point.
For your layer height, it sounds like you need your extruder calibrated. Check the "E-steps" section on Triffid Hunter's Calibration Guide. If that doesn't fix it, it might be that your hobbed bolt is slipping or your filament is not uniform.

For the layer problem, decrease your layer height and do a simple test print at a few degrees higher temp and increase the print speed. See if the problem starts going away. There is bound to be some rigidity on your prints but you can minimize it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2014 09:40AM by Molotov.
May 07, 2014 05:06PM
@ntwrkguru Here are some settings to check in Slic3r.

Measure your filament a few places and average. Set Filament Settings tab Diameter to this number.

Print Settings Tab (Layer Height, First Layer Height)
For a .5 nozzle try both at .4
For a .4 nozzle try both at .3

Printer Settings tab Extruder 1 Nozzle diameter. Set properly. (Some people have reported that hotend nozzles are sold as .4mm but really are .5mm and visa versa. )
on the same tab set Retraction, Speed. Default = 30 was way to fast for my stepper. I had to set it down to 11.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2014 05:21PM by aBrainDump.
May 07, 2014 05:12PM
I finally finished my first RepRap. I built a Wilson TS [reprap.org] which is Prusa i3 based. Here is video of a first day print [plus.google.com] I was surprised but relieved it worked.
May 12, 2014 07:49PM
One day, maybe, I'll get this thing dialed in and making pretty prints.
May 12, 2014 10:20PM
aBrainDump

These were at .25 and .3. Set them to both be .4 and it's printing the first layer splendidly now. Now if I could get the sides smoother, I'd be a happy camper! They're not bad, just not as good as others I've seen.
May 13, 2014 11:07AM
ntwrkguru
aBrainDump

These were at .25 and .3. Set them to both be .4 and it's printing the first layer splendidly now. Now if I could get the sides smoother, I'd be a happy camper! They're not bad, just not as good as others I've seen.

To get the sides smoother, you could try a .2 or .1 layer height. keep the First Layer Height at .4.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login