Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

POWER SUPPLY for Prusa 3D Printer with HEATBED

Posted by Paul2d3d 
POWER SUPPLY for Prusa 3D Printer with HEATBED
September 01, 2011 05:47PM
I have start to build my PRUSA 3D Printer and am trying to work out the best solution for a suitable power supply unit which can drive all the motors etc. and deal with the power needs of the Prusa table HEATBED etc.,

Being based in the UK I am looking for 240Volts input and 12 volts output at a suitable Watts and Amps covering the above options.

Any ideas anyone !!

Thanks
Paul
UK based user
Re: POWER SUPPLY for Prusa 3D Printer with HEATBED
September 02, 2011 07:40AM
PC ATX power supplies with at least 18 amps on 12V are cheap and easy to find. You might be able to by a cheap 12V power supply on e-bay also.
September 03, 2011 12:05AM
I will be experimenting in the next few weeks with a power supply that has the 12V all on one rail rated at at 50A. Overall power supply is 675 watts as listed and ran me $50, so it really was not that bad on price.
This will feed my resistor for the hot end and the 9 * 6.0 Ohm metal clad resistors. I am hoping one rail will provide the draw for the rail to run at full power as needed. This feeds a RAMPS 1.3 board and I will just take the same 12v wire to feed the connections on the board.
I will see how it works in the near future and post.
March 26, 2013 11:30PM
that should do for running the Heat bed and Extruder Keep in mind your Fan Amps and How many, Fans you have I have Been informed you need at least 3 on the printer itself .One Bridge and one Cololing the Base of the X Carrige on on the Extruder Motor and one on the Y axes motor.
I have a 450Watt ATX and still If i put more then one Cooling fan (Ramps Board)and I try to add any other fans I get power Dips serious enough to effect my Bed Temp.and my Arduino Mega2560 Crashes.moody smiley or Loses serial connection with my Laptop Ending the Print.angry smileysad smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login