Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reprappers in Denmark

Posted by anton 
Reprappers in Denmark
January 28, 2010 04:25AM
I'd like to help setup a user group of reprappers from Denmark, is anybody else interested?

The purpose of the UG should be to help people get started with using reprappers. Never mind the self-replicating features, the Mendel still requires additional materials, which needs to be bought locally.

The purpose would be:

1) Help people get started with RepRappers, Primarily Darwin/Mendel based reprappers but also some repstrappers.

2) Despite the internet, seeing people in the eyes sometimes helps advance collaboration, this is easier done locally.

3) Build up a directory of suppliers, where the various materials can be sourced from, preferably local, but at least within easy shipping range to Denmark.

Any takers?
Re: Reprappers in Denmark
January 28, 2010 12:45PM
Hi.

I would be interested in that :-)

I am currently trying to build a Mendel, and am waiting for the RP parts.

The RP parts are ofcause the difficult bit, everything else can obtained (though some of the stuff is awful expensive in Denmark).

Located in Lyngby...

- Nikolaj
January 28, 2010 01:06PM
Great, I'm glad to hear that...

My immediate goal is to get a McWire going and use that to print the RP parts for a Mendel. I'm currently almost at the stage where I've given up on the mainstream electronics, exploring what can be done, using std. COTS pre-fabricated boards.

Finding places where materials can be bought cheaply in the local area is definitely one of the important things which I hope to get from a UG, and then later on, help others get started, with hopefully less trouble than you and I have.

I'm in Ringsted, although I'm currently planning to move to Horsens.

I've found a few links to danish sites, I find interesting, but maybe you've already found these:

Also, perhaps we could save on shipping costs by pooling our purchases together.

/anton
Silvan Web-shop: [eshop.silvan.dk]

RS .. in danish: [dk.rs-online.com]
January 28, 2010 02:14PM
Hi.

> I'm
> currently almost at the stage where I've given up
> on the mainstream electronics, exploring what can
> be done, using std. COTS pre-fabricated boards.

I managed to get the complete electronics kit from MakerBot. It seems to be in stock every few months...

> Finding places where materials can be bought
> cheaply in the local area is definitely one of the
> important things which I hope to get from a UG,

Yup :-)

> Silvan Web-shop:

If you have a Bauhaus near you, then you will find a much, much bigger selection. They also have threaded rod, but unfortunately not the bars.

> RS .. in danish: [dk.rs-online.com]

Yes, I have used them. You can get a lot of stuff from them, but it is bloody expensive!

For electronic components, look at rapidonline.com or dk.digikey.com.

I got the bearings from eBay.

> Also, perhaps we could save on shipping costs by
> pooling our purchases together.

That would be nice.

I think I have everything except the RP parts. But it seems the extruder breaks easily, so getting some spare parts might be a good idea...

Also, it sounds like a heated bed improve things a lot. But I have no idea of where to get alu slabs in Denmark. Any ideas?

Maybe we should look into getting a page on the wiki to write down Denmark specific information?

- Nikolaj
tan
January 29, 2010 12:20PM
Hi
I am based in Frederiksberg waiting for parts for Mendel
Have background as Electronic engineer,
Hows the builds going with Mcwire

kind regards
Tansen
January 29, 2010 01:19PM
I'm almost at a standstill hot smiley

I'm Waiting for the electronics, I've started to look around for alternatives, to the "official" PCB's, since I'm primarily a software guy, I'm not too thrilled about that prospect of soldering my PCB's by hand.

Meanwhile I've been busying myself, trying to produce a 3d CAD drawing of the McWire, learning BRL-CAD and TCL scripting in the process.

BotHackers setup looks quite interesting, and may just be within my level of soldering skills, getting the stepper controllers and an Arduino-Mega motherboard preassembled.

Cost-wise they are similar.
tan
January 31, 2010 01:08PM
hi
Can we get the offical PCB board masks?
its not hard to order them from our own pcb supplier small runs are normally 50 boards of each type.
good idea?
or am I trying to avoid my patience training course with makerbot
kind regards
Tansen
January 31, 2010 01:37PM
Yeah, I've run out of patience as well, but 50 seems like a lot, initially I won't need that many boards, 1 set is ok, two would be great, that way I won't need cannibalize the McWire when building the Mendel.

The masks can be created from the Eagle files which are part of the download. I've read that the PCB have been designed to fit within the limits of the free version of Eagle. At least the free version of Eagle didn't complain when I printed the attached PDF.
Attachments:
open | download - motherboard.pdf (59.3 KB)
tan
February 01, 2010 03:41AM
hi
I could see if we could get a smaller number than 50, but I need some more details
do you know how many layer the boards are?
have they got plated through component holes?
kind regards
Tansen
February 01, 2010 06:36AM
I've looked at the Eagle files, and some are two layered, top and bottom and some are only one layered. They layout uses VIA's to connect the top and bottom layer at certain points.

I've been thinking perhaps it would be best to layout a set of boards on one sheet, 1 motherboard, 1 extruder controller, 3 stepper controllers and 6 end stops on one sheet, and then have 50 of those made. Or would the increased sheet size drive cost through the roof.

It would be nice if a bunch of us could join forces.
February 01, 2010 10:00AM
You don't have to look any further than Belgium. I've just got mt stock of stepper V2.3 pcbs and opto endstop V2.1 boards. The motherboards and extruder pcbs are stuck in customs at the moment (they're from makerbot and i think they didn't fill in the customs slip properly or something) The steppers and optos I had made up myself from a pcb house. I'll announce my site at the end of this week (earlier, hopefully) and you can buy exactly what you need there. It's a lot of hard work setting up a reliable site and i am doing it part time, so you'll have to forgive me for it being a little behind winking smiley

I'll also have kits available, ie PCB and all the parts to go with it and also fully assembled boards (that might take a little longer, 'cos I still have to build them winking smiley ), plus 1m long UTP cables at a good price if you want to use makerbot version connect-ability.
tan
February 04, 2010 11:34AM
anton
I have to find out how many layer each board is; if there all the same it might be economic,
Shall we meet up and find out if its an advantage to pool effort and build mendel parts together on repstrap machine plus possible electronis boards.
The way its looking buying mendels printed parts (or buying other peoples home printed parts could end up being 500-1500) dollars a set.
Kind regards
Tansen

I have a friend at dtu might help with aluminum laser cutting.
February 04, 2010 11:50AM
The boards are all 2 layer. Most pcb houses don't like having multiple designs in one run, unless you're making prototypes, but then you wait longer and pay a little more and get less quantity. Like, I said, I've got boards and kits, but I'll harp on more about that later.
February 04, 2010 01:41PM
@tan
I've pretty much given up on using the "standard" electronics, I've looked very closely into using a modified version of the firmware which can run on a std. Arduino 2009 (Duemilanove) and some std. stepper controllers.

That means that the only specialized things I'm going to need are the opto stoppers and a temperature sensor. I can buy these things from quite a few places, e.g. [www.lawicel-shop.se] in Sweden.
tan
February 05, 2010 02:21PM
Hi
good idea if you need any help I have time.
I have sent off for quotes for mendel plastic parts to several Chinese plastic prototyping firms, I hope for some under 500 dollar a set results.
has any one else got quotes?
yours tan
February 12, 2010 08:12AM
Hi all,

We're a Belgian based shop that is selling Gen3 electronics, motors and cables. Go to [www.iprint3d.org] and have a look around, I hope we have something for you.

This is a self made site (so it might have gremlins). If you notice any bugs or problems, just use the contact us link on the page and let us know. We'll get on it ASAP.

I'm trying to cater for as many custom demands as possible, so if it's not in the shop or if you need a special mod, just contact us and I'll see what I can arrange

Thanks and happy shopping.
Matthew from iPrint3D
February 13, 2010 09:03PM
Hi Matthew

I am curious about the heat sink that you are using on the stepper chip, is this a industry standard part?
February 14, 2010 02:57AM
Welcome to Denmark RUG!

Here is a good homepage:
[objects.reprap.org]

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
February 14, 2010 05:10AM
hi Freds,

The heatsink is an industry standard part and is made by Fischer Elektronik. It has a Thermal Resistance of 63°C/W and is adhesive mount.
March 09, 2010 02:29PM
I'm interested in a Danish RUG too smiling smiley

I'm in Aalborg and currently building a Mendel. Check my blog for build notes and other stuff.

It's not specific to Denmark, but I'll link it here anyway, I've set up a RUG for people using Ubuntu at launchpad.net.

As for aluminum for a heated printing bed I'm planning to get mine from RS unless I find a better source.
March 10, 2010 04:52AM
Hi guys

I've been looking into this 3d fabrication stuff for a while now and have decided to dive into it. I'm currently in the process of finishing my master thesis from Danmarks Designskole as an industrial designer,in Copenhagen and I really want to incorporate the technology in some way.

The thing is. I want to build myself a reprapper, but I'm in the blind on the best way to proced. The Mendel parts seem a bit hard to come by at the moment and my technincal expertise is lacking.

I dont know if any of you guys have any advice to the matter? otherwise I just wanted to say hello smiling smiley

Best regards

Brian
March 10, 2010 07:16AM
Hello,
I am one part of two guys from Esbjerg that have set out to build an mendel in the near future.

I am an computer geek, and my friend is an artist.

Regin

[Edit]
Found an Dealer that is willing to make ABS Filament in 3mm, but they need at least 2000m order, but it can be split up in several drums. At that lenght we are talking about a price of about 1,2dkr per meter so the standard drum of 500m would be 600,- plus delivery (I guess it's without taxes though)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2010 07:29AM by Serringer.
March 14, 2010 12:16PM
Hello Danish RepRappers

Im setting up a danish informationsite about the RepRap project, where we can meet and share our knowledge and help each get started. The adress will be reprapforum.dk, and should be running with in the next 2 weeks smiling smiley

.. Mikkel Thomsen

RepRapforum.dk
March 14, 2010 03:45PM
AKA [objects.reprap.org] ?

No one has written a page like
AKA [objects.reprap.org]
or [objects.reprap.org]
yet, but I hope they will.

e.g.
[objects.reprap.org]
[objects.reprap.org]

Please let me know if you'd like a few dozen Denmark-RepRap subforums/mailing lists over here at forums.reprap.org. If you're designing and building a laser cutter but doing so in Danish, you may want a dedicated forum-mailing list for that etc.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
March 15, 2010 06:23AM
My thought was to have my own webside, where people can follow my mendel project, to get and gives idea of how to build and where to buy and stuff like that.
I'll also set up a forum on that side smiling smiley

Mikkel Thomsen

RepRapforum.dk
March 15, 2010 04:45PM
to get and gives idea of how to build and where to buy and stuff like that.
I'll also set up a forum on that sid

That's what the wiki is for. We haven't introduced a mediawiki blogging extension, but I'm looking into it.

The best way to help RepRap is to add text and images and parts files to the website. Anything else is sort of nesting behavior - fun, but not as helpful for your peers as keeping everything in one place.

March 25, 2010 07:10AM
I live in Roskilde, but have joined the new [Labitat.dk] group in Frederiksberg.

We are about 10 guys (of Labitats abt. 150 members) that have started building Mendels. See [labitat.dk]

One member Kulitorum (Michael Holm) has a working Mendel. You can read more about this on his blog [www.kulitorum.com]

Once we get some results from our research of where to get parts, we'll add to the "buying guide" on this wiki.

Talk to you all later,
--MrAlvin
April 09, 2010 07:38AM
Hi to all
I live in Faaborg, Fyn. I’ve been reading a lot about it at reprap.org and only now saw this group.
I am a teknisk designer and have a lot of experience with solidedge and autoCAD, and would be happy to assist all with the technical aspect.
I have built my own foundry at home and can cast aluminium and now looking into reprap as for making quick and accurate models for my aluminium casting.
As many here, my biggest difficulty is to find all the electronics item/ suppliers in Denmark (and to do it cheap …) so any helping hand here would be good.
Right now, I haven’t started to build it because of the missing electronics.
Hope for a good collaboration from the group
VH
Alon
April 09, 2010 07:48AM
Welcome to smiling smiley

If you have a little electronics skill and don't mind the extra work you can save some on the electronics by using something like what I'll be using: [www.seeedstudio.com] [www.seeedstudio.com] [www.pololu.com] [www.reprapsource.com] [www.reprapsource.com] and a power supply and a MOSFET, the latter two which I got from a broken laptop.

More details at my blog: [ebidk.blogspot.com]
April 12, 2010 06:49AM
Hi to all
Is there anyone with a working reprap on Fyn? I would like visit and see the machine. If the models are good enough maybe buy all the Mendel parts you can print for my own reprap.
VH
Alon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login