Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Embedding 3D models into Team wikis

Posted by Isaac Olson 
Embedding 3D models into Team wikis
August 09, 2010 01:16AM
Does anyone know if there is a way to embed a 3D model into a wiki page? I was thinking that there is no better way to communicate what our teams are trying to do than provide a simple model for people to play with in their browser. Google makes it easy to embed any 3D Warehouse model into a normal web page (see my example). However, when I put the same code into my wiki I get:
[ sketchup.google.com is not an authorized iframe site ]
I'm not that strong with code, is there a way that the RepRap admin's can simply "add" sketchup.google.com as an authorized iframe site? Viewing any 3D Warehouse model requires the Google Earth plugin, an even better option would be something Java based so practically anyone could view the model without downloading anything, something like this might work.
VDX
Re: Embedding 3D models into Team wikis
August 09, 2010 03:28AM
... you can try with a 3D-PDF ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
August 20, 2010 01:37AM
Viktor,

Thanks for the cool 3D-pdf examplesmiling smiley. Over the last few days I have been playing around with several 3D-pdf software trial versions and I've got to say I'm pretty impressed with the whole concept. I can certainly see this format being used to quickly communicate design ideas. The whole inspiration behind this forum topic was that I wanted my designs to be instantly available for evaluation without having to manually download a CAD file. The only problem is that there don't seem to be any free, or otherwise cheap($0-$50), 3D-pdf software out there. The least expensive one I have found so far is the SimLab Composer, for $149. They do have a $95 version that is a plugin for SketchUp Pro (which of itself is $495!) I might end up buying the SimLab Composer but if we could find something free it could be adopted by other Gada Prize Teams and RepRap projects.

--Isaac
August 20, 2010 02:56AM
What about VRML?

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
August 20, 2010 03:12AM

Over the last few days I have been playing around with several 3D-pdf software trial versions and I've got to say I'm pretty impressed with the whole concept. I can certainly see this format being used to quickly communicate design ideas.

In the engineering world, eDrawings are pretty much a standard already. Comes with a free viewer, but creating them costs $$.

For an all-free solution, VRML ist the way to go. Some tools like admesh can create VRML from STL and free viewer plugins exist. VRML exists for some 10 years already but didn't really get a grip. Probably, because you have to install such a plugin.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

VDX
August 20, 2010 03:51AM
... in past i developed some VRML-worlds, but we've had big issues with crossplatform-compatibility, so tried with other formats too.

For our intranet, customers and some fairs i used O2C, where you have a small free installer available and some nice visual and animation optins, but nowadays there are many other 3D-formats too, so you should check the others too ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Another way to browse warehouse 3D content [www.youtube.com]
Embedding available too
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login