Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Unified Robotics

Posted by JohnnyCooper 
Unified Robotics
February 09, 2010 05:05AM
I've never really understood the artificial divisions between the various sects of robotics.

Why is the reprap community having it's own discussions on steppers vs. servos, optical encoders vs. potentiometers, cameras, hydraulics vs. pnumatics, analog vs digital, ect...

simultaneously as the amateur astronomy/CNC machinists/RC Cars & Subs & Planes & Boats & Helicopters/robotics teams/ect...

I know that within reason that all of these disciplines have their own specific needs for the given application, however to an extent the lack of communication sometimes results in redundant efforts/consumption of resources.

What can we do to better bridge these gaps?

Does it just come down to individual communication and word of mouth information sharing via shared interests? Or is there more that can be done in order to ensure that the information gets to where it belongs as efficiently and effectively as possible.

I think this forum is a step in that direction. Am I alone in these feelings? Is there more that can be done? What more can be done?
Re: Unified Robotics
April 12, 2010 12:10PM
I agree actually.

Once I get a robot up and running and printing plastic, I want to tie in some of the vision processing software that is getting quite mature. Hopefully, I can use it for auto-calibration and maybe in the future I can use it for resumed printing.
April 15, 2010 12:01AM
I think this forum is a step in that direction.
Am I alone in these feelings?
Yup, nope.

Is there more that can be done?
What more can be done?
Yes. We need to create some robots and do them up in the wiki.

Robo-one, robot arms, robosumo, mousebots, etc.

Also telescope mounts, and so on.

Each of the communities "nests" quite a bit in purpose created spaces. But discussion will engender discussion (and hardware). And hardware will foment hardware (and discussion).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2010 12:01AM by SebastienBailard.
November 22, 2011 02:02AM
as we are discussing about unified robotics, Wynright, Inc., a leading manufacturer and integrator in the material handling industry has begun implementing unified control robotic solutions. With unified control, robot control and programming takes place directly from a programmable automation controller (PAC or PLC). This new methodology for implementing robotics enables Wynright to apply our significant material handling expertise to deliver innovative automation solutions for our clients.

Wynright’s initial focus involves a commercial palletizing solution that utilizes a Yaskawa Motoman robot and their MLX100 gateway. Wynright now integrates the robot into the overall automation cell using Agile Planet’s unified robot control software, RLXTM, running on a Rockwell Automation ControlLogix PAC platform. As a result, Wynright leverages a unified control environment for our internal development while ultimately delivering the benefits of that same environment to our clients.

“Advancements in robotic control capabilities from Yaskawa Motoman, Rockwell Automation, and Agile Planet are great enablers for us.” said Tim Criswell, President of Wynright Robotics. “The unified control concept will lower the overall cost of ownership of robotic automation for our clients as well as enable us to deliver new automation solutions that previously weren’t practical.”

”We are excited that Wynright is committed to deliver unified control solutions.” said Greg Presley, VP of Marketing for Agile Planet. “Agile Planet delivers innovative robotic productivity tools and in turn Wynright delivers high value solutions to their clients. It is a natural fit.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login