Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MakeRoll: universal system for spools

Posted by MaurinoWeb 
MakeRoll: universal system for spools
March 06, 2018 10:47AM
MakeRoll is a system for the universal scrolling of the spools, it works on spools of 250 grams up to 4 kilos

Here is a video on MakeRoll

The system adapts to the diameter and width of the spools and has an anti-dust filter for each spool.

Some images....

The MakeRoll project is hosted on github

I hope it can be useful.
A greeting

I love free projects ;-)
My projects: [www.3dingegno.com]
Re: MakeRoll: universal system for spools
March 07, 2018 01:54AM
Good design!
I'm always afraid, that almost empty spools tip over in such a configuration. The last meters of filament can be quite stiff and curly.
How do you mount the bearings? Is the bearing holder a two piece with notches?
March 07, 2018 11:27AM
The bearing holder have two notches, both on the right and on the left.
So when inserting the rod-bearing can not mistake.

Do well to be afraid... but MakeRoll always guarantees that the spool is 15 mm under the bearing (for not pull forward the spool) and the spool is always pulled in the middle (the overturning I think it's not possible without big mistakes).
If something happens in this situation, it would also happen in other systems. Probably the spool would not go out, but the damage would still exist.

The first MakeRoll prototype did not guarantee 15 mm under the bearing ... I did not even finish it and I redesigned almost everything.

Sorry for bad english
Thanks lot

I love free projects ;-)
March 10, 2018 11:18AM
Clever, and well done !
I intend to adapt these ideas for hanging on the wall above the machine... Thanks !
March 11, 2018 05:56AM
Thanks you

In the next changes I was thinking of adding side holes on profile-block.stl ... in some cases they can be useful.

If you do not mind, I would like to see some images at the end of the work.

In the github links you find the guide of the number of prints and component. now I have to write the assembly instructions, however it is simple, for anything ask as well. I forgot one thing in the guide, I have to update it... To calculate the length of the profiles and an estimate of the number of spools... calculate + 15mm for each spool

See you soon

I love free projects ;-)
March 11, 2018 08:11AM
I used this type of spool holder for a while, but I ran into problems with the filament on really full spools springing off the spool and over the flanges and getting tangled. I went to using rollers that contact the spool flanges at 3, and later 4 points. Your adjustable system is very good for different diameter spools- it could easily be adapted to using rollers... See: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
March 12, 2018 06:14AM
The problem of tangles we have to designing it shortly. However the changes do not change the MakeRoll system which remains exactly the same... compact and universal in both width and diameter of the spools.

We believe that a roller solution is intelligent, but not suitable for possible tangles with flexible filaments.

What we have thought is rather bizarre and if the first tests give good results, the anti-tangle system will also work on flexible filaments and everything will be shared with licenses that respect the four freedoms (free cultural) like all our projects.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience...
Doing some investigations, I found a flaw on MakeRoll that I thought I had fixed... instead I made a calculation error :-(
Practically right now there is the possibility that the 1.75mm filament will fit into bearing-holder.stl.
In the day or tomorrow I make a small change on bearing-holder.stl and the 1.75mm filaments can not fit for any reason.

Thank you so much the_digital_dentist

PS:sorry for the bad english

I love free projects ;-)
March 12, 2018 07:26AM
I have used both my filament holders successfully with TPU filament.. Flexible filament isn't a tangle problem compared to PLA which is very stiff and likes to spring off the spools. If you're worried about the filament sticking to the roller, you can always feed the filament through the holes in the base of the spool holder so I doesn't touch the rollers. I have never seen TPU filament sticking to anything but itself. I am interested to see what you come up with.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
March 12, 2018 12:05PM
My worry is long un-load filament... an example are the multimaterial 3d printers that use a crossroad... here the change of material can un-load filament of 10cm or more.
March 16, 2018 11:45AM
Today I did the first tests of the anti-tangle system ... it works, but different problems came out... also important!
In next days we see if the idea is worth sharing it or not.

in any case, it was an interesting experience.
March 18, 2018 03:48AM
I thought it would be helpful to have some kind of light spring-mechanism, that always pulls the spools backwards when there's no tension ( like in unloading-filament scenario ).
The spring would need an adjustable slip clutch. Once it is fully wound up, it starts slipping. The spring could have a spiral shape from PETG or the like.
March 26, 2018 04:04AM
I would have answered immediately because you have fully hit what we want to get... but I had an unexpected mourning.

Back to us...
o_lampe I like your idea!
The first anti-tangle system we tested made the spool go back without a spring, but impractical and too many problems. Therefore it is discarded.

For now I'm working on the first version of the touch z-probe ZPREP... it's too pending.

On MakeRoll I want to find an anti-tangle system and make other small improvements... thank you very much for the idea o_lampe.
March 26, 2018 04:32AM
Some days I updated MakeRoll...

MakeRoll 1.0.1 is more compatible with very full spools and now thanks holder-bearing-L and R the 1.75 filament should not be get stuck in holder-bearing in any way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2018 04:33AM by MaurinoWeb.

I love free projects ;-)
May 17, 2018 06:55AM
I'm digging the colours, the Black and Orange make it look really cool,... you know, I'll have to try making this as soon as I've collected some more parts.

Awesome, print and Thank you, for sharing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2018 06:57AM by Alienmoon.

I Want To Believe
May 17, 2018 01:23PM
Thanks
When you did, show me your work I'm curious.
For anything, ask as well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login