Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rainbow coloured Aria the Dragon by Loubie

Posted by deckingman 
Rainbow coloured Aria the Dragon by Loubie
August 20, 2017 08:42AM
Just thought I'd share this.

It's this [www.thingiverse.com] but scaled up 180%. so it stands around 235 mm tall. I photographed it stood on a window sill so they are real clouds behind.

Sliced with Slic3R, 0.3mm layer height. Then the gcode file was run through a little script to change the mixing ratio every second layer. Printed using Filaprint transparent PET-G [shop.3dfilaprint.com] and a Diamond 5 colour hot end with 0.5mm nozzle. Print duration about 7 hours. So it started with 100% clear then faded through blue to yellow (giving green along the way) through red (giving orange along the way) then towards black transparent but only up to around 50-50 red and black as I ran of height. Might do it again at 200% or maybe just change the mix ratio to every layer, rather than every other layer for the last colour change so that it ends up 100% black transparent.

Anyway, though I say so myself - I don't think it's too scruffy.

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2017 12:02PM by deckingman.

[somei3deas.wordpress.com]
Re: Rainbow coloured Aria the Dragon by Loubie
August 20, 2017 02:57PM
Nice work!

Delta printer calibration calculator, mini IR Z probe, and colour touch screen control panel: [escher3d.com]

Large delta printer, and other 3D printer blog postings: [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]

Disclosure: I have a financial interest in sales of the Panel Due, Mini IR height sensor, and Duet WiFi/Duet Ethernet [www.duet3d.com].
August 20, 2017 11:40PM
Excellent!
I tried some colour change prints as well, but didn't know how to write a script for it. That's when I asked David to add "relative" mixing ratio to RRF.
That way you could send the same "M567 P0 E+2:-1:-1" line.
I'd love to see Aria in a red/black colour scheme.
The rainbow colours looks too much like Christopher street day. ( Don't get me wrong, I'm not homophob, but it just doesn't do her justice )
August 21, 2017 10:04AM
o_lampe
I tried some colour change prints as well, but didn't know how to write a script for it. That's when I asked David to add "relative" mixing ratio to RRF.
That way you could send the same "M567 P0 E+2:-1:-1" line................

That would be a very labour intensive way of doing it. This print took around 7 hours and the colour change happens every other layer. The layer time was around 30 seconds (but varied obviously) so you have had to sit there for 7 hours and input the mixing ration every minute. Also, with 5 inputs I decrement one, increment another but leave the other 3 unchanged until the one that is being incremented has reached 100%, then I decrement that one, and increment a different one so I'm not sure how your request would work in practice as there are vary many possible combinations.

The script I used is a small variation of the one that's on my blog BTW. So you could copy it or download it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login