Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rainbow coloured Aria the Dragon by Loubie

Posted by deckingman 
Rainbow coloured Aria the Dragon by Loubie
August 20, 2017 11:42AM
Just thought I'd share this.

It's this [www.thingiverse.com] but scaled up 180%. so it stands around 235 mm tall. I photographed it stood on a window sill so they are real clouds behind.

Sliced with Slic3R, 0.3mm layer height. Then the gcode file was run through a little script to change the mixing ratio every second layer. Printed using Filaprint transparent PET-G [shop.3dfilaprint.com] and a Diamond 5 colour hot end with 0.5mm nozzle. Print duration about 7 hours. So it started with 100% clear then faded through blue to yellow (giving green along the way) through red (giving orange along the way) then towards black transparent but only up to around 50-50 red and black as I ran of height. Might do it again at 200% or maybe just change the mix ratio to every layer, rather than every other layer for the last colour change so that it ends up 100% black transparent.

Anyway, though I say so myself - I don't think it's too scruffy.

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2017 03:02PM by deckingman.

[somei3deas.wordpress.com]
[www.youtube.com]
Re: Rainbow coloured Aria the Dragon by Loubie
August 20, 2017 05:57PM
Nice work!

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 21, 2017 02:40AM
Excellent!
I tried some colour change prints as well, but didn't know how to write a script for it. That's when I asked David to add "relative" mixing ratio to RRF.
That way you could send the same "M567 P0 E+2:-1:-1" line.
I'd love to see Aria in a red/black colour scheme.
The rainbow colours looks too much like Christopher street day. ( Don't get me wrong, I'm not homophob, but it just doesn't do her justice )
August 21, 2017 01:04PM
o_lampe
I tried some colour change prints as well, but didn't know how to write a script for it. That's when I asked David to add "relative" mixing ratio to RRF.
That way you could send the same "M567 P0 E+2:-1:-1" line................

That would be a very labour intensive way of doing it. This print took around 7 hours and the colour change happens every other layer. The layer time was around 30 seconds (but varied obviously) so you have had to sit there for 7 hours and input the mixing ration every minute. Also, with 5 inputs I decrement one, increment another but leave the other 3 unchanged until the one that is being incremented has reached 100%, then I decrement that one, and increment a different one so I'm not sure how your request would work in practice as there are vary many possible combinations.

The script I used is a small variation of the one that's on my blog BTW. So you could copy it or download it.
September 29, 2017 06:40AM
Really nice... congratulations
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login