Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printer without belts

Posted by pjx3d 
Printer without belts
March 10, 2017 04:16AM
Hi,

I made this small design. All axes with lead screws.
It's fast and very accurate.

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
Attachments:
open | download - fr_2402_size880.jpg (112.9 KB)
open | download - fr_2402_size880.jpg (112.9 KB)
open | download - 2521s.jpg (454.7 KB)
mfm
Re: Printer without belts
November 25, 2017 09:31AM
Hi,

Cool. I always wanted to try this. Did you mitigate backlash in any way. Spring loaded nuts maybe?
November 27, 2017 02:40AM
Using lead screws for X- and Y-axis is like repurposing a tank to race the Indy 500 . eye rolling smiley
December 06, 2017 03:35AM
If those tanks were firing at each other, it’d certainly be a more exciting Indy 500!

Because of how narrow that trrack is, once one or more tanks were out of the running, they’d need to drive over them for the rest of the laps.

Having run on that track a couple times on foot, it looks wider on TV than in person!
December 07, 2017 07:17PM
Done in 2012 by TrinityOne
100 orphan printers out there

Aluminatus TrinityOne 3D printer

using 10 start 25mm pitch leadscrews) SIMO™ linear actuators

[www.3ders.org]

you may want to try high start leadscrew?

confused smiley
December 08, 2017 12:58PM
A couple of years ago, I got started with my 3D printer, an I3 clone.

It wasn't a great kit to start with, and I have never been entirely happy with its overall accuracy. I always felt that I was making compromises with many of the things that I made with it. I made several improvements, and it got better, but it's still not as good as I want. I have never been able to make pieces that fit tightly together without needing to adjust for a difference between expected and actual real dimensions. (Say making a slot and tab assembly part.) I'm interested in the accuracy that this allows.

I had thought that perhaps the T8 lead screws would pose a speed problem. With a 4 start 2mm pitch, and a 1.8 degree stepper motor, at 1/16 microstepping, I get 400 steps/mm, which is about double that of a typical GT2 belt setup. It seems to be that changing to 1/8 microstepping should result in similar speeds, even though the motor RPM will double.

I am planning to rebuild by printer similar to this myself, so I'm encouraged by the success of this one.

MBot3D Printer
MakerBot clone Kit from Amazon
Added heated bed.

Leadscrew self-built printer (in progress)
Duet Wifi, Precision Piezo parts
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login