Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The QTip-tip and other useful little helpers

Posted by o_lampe 
The QTip-tip and other useful little helpers
February 20, 2017 11:19AM
I want to start a thread where everyone can post his little pragmatic solutions around RepRap printing.

The QTip tip:
If you want to place a fan above your controller and drivers, just cut a QTip (R) in half and use it as temporary standoff. The fluffy side fit in the fan mounting holes and absorbs vibrations.
The other side fits on empty pins or between the cooling fins. It can be extended by wooden toothpicks if necessary.

The cigarette filter tip:
While assembling an extrusion frame, it is helpful to use cigarette filters to stop the square nuts from dropping.
It is also possible to fix stepper- or endstops wires with it.
Attachments:
open | download - cigarette_filter.jpg (179.2 KB)
open | download - Qtip-tip.jpg (422.9 KB)
VDX
Re: The QTip-tip and other useful little helpers
February 20, 2017 11:37AM
... as "non-smoker" I was using air-gun cleaning pads instead of cigarette filters winking smiley

[www.4komma5.de]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 21, 2017 02:52AM
Air gun....
I've used 4.5mm steelballs in flexible couplings between stepper shaft and threaded rod to eliminate z-compression on my Prusa. Without them, the weight of the MK8 extruder can cause z-height variation while printing.
February 21, 2017 06:13PM
Blu tac to route wires in extrusion channels.
February 25, 2017 11:25AM
Discovered an extremely useful trick today..... Trying to place a nut in a hard to reach area, but it keeps falling out or not staying put? Attach some magnets to your spanner so that it works like a magnetised screwdriver, never drop those nuts again!
February 25, 2017 09:27PM
For when you get burned using your 3d printer: panthenol works very well for burns if you apply it right away.
February 26, 2017 02:39AM
What is panthenol?
VDX
February 26, 2017 05:52AM
... Panthenol is a vitamine, our body creates to heal wounds ... seems some cream vendors calls their products similar.

I'm using Dexpanthenol for mixing my super-high-viscous and -sticky brazing pastes, as it's the most viscous media I can by free ... and it will evaporate totally when heated winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 26, 2017 06:20PM
To be entirely accurate, it's a provitamin of vitamin B5. I have a bottle sitting on my table and I've used it more than I should have had to.
February 28, 2017 10:23AM
Can't say I burn myself on the printer very often... I get lots of paper cut style scratches from extrusion and tooling plate though. The edges are deceptively sharp...
April 28, 2017 07:30PM
I bought a LED spotlight from IKEA which clips to the right side of my Geeetech i3 Pro B. Only £10.00. Great for lighting the print bed! smiling smiley (Mine's black.)

Play Bonny!

Soadyheid
Attachments:
open | download - jansjö-led-wall-clamp-spotlight-white__0375171_pe553841_s4.jpg (10.9 KB)
April 30, 2017 11:38PM
Noisy steppers?

Get some rubber hose that's got an ID the size of your mounting screws (probably 3mm). Make thin 'washer' sized slices and mount them between the motor and whatever you're mounting it to.
April 30, 2017 11:40PM
On most power supplies, the screws for power leads are 4mm. Replace them with socket head 4mm screws. It seems I always have a 3mm allen head lying around, but Philips head screwdrivers are scarce in my shop. Go figure.
April 30, 2017 11:45PM
need a handy 5v minu USB/OTG (on the go) lead to power a RPi or something else? Get one of these devices:

[ae01.alicdn.com]

This is one of the handiest devices I've come across in a while.
May 30, 2017 06:47AM
How to cool down a heated bed after the print is finished?

Condom ( extra strong winking smiley ) => filled with salt water => chilled in freezer => snugged around the printed part => PLOPP

This method isn't tested yet, especially the condom on a 100°C hot plate is a risk.
October 06, 2018 02:47PM
Are you using openbuilds t slot extrusions? Get these t-slot nuts. These are much wider giving better support without damaging the extrusion. It also has a spring loaded ball which keeps it in place. It's also possible to insert them in place so if the ends or are blocked or other stuff is mounted it's easy to just drop them in place.
Please note that these probably don't fit in regular extrusions.

[www.aliexpress.com]

While you're there, order some low profile allen screws. I've ordered a bag of all sizes. The travel in extrusions isn't very deep so having screws that are the correct length is very handy.

[www.aliexpress.com]

--
Kind regards
Imqqmi

NFAN CoreXY printer:
[reprap.org]
November 12, 2018 05:21PM
Soadyheid
I bought a LED spotlight from IKEA
Soadyheid

They are perfect aren't they? My friend mounted the same light on my printer like this.

New browser from the creator of Opera: [vivaldi.com]
November 12, 2018 08:46PM
What? Am I the only one here who lubes linear guides with spit?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
November 15, 2018 01:00AM
Lol Spit, might be good enough for the wife but Linear Rails need the good stuff smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login