Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Engraving and milling machine

Posted by leadinglights 
Engraving and milling machine
November 16, 2016 08:35AM
I made a simple milling/engraving attachment for one of my 3D printers to solve several immediate machining needs which my small milling machine would not handle.
The sort of thing it does well is shallow work, PCBs, labels and wall plaques etc. There is a short video of this in action on YouTube at [www.youtube.com] and also a Thingiverse item at [www.thingiverse.com]

Accuracy is surprisingly good, the grooves shown on the YouTube video were cut with a 1mm end mill and finished size is very close to 1mm. The white ring-ended thing is a vacuum nozzle as this 3D printer has little protections against swarf.
Although this design is optimized for use on a printer where the table moves in both X and Y directions, I think that it could be modified to work on other geometries - although possibly not delta printers.
Re: Engraving and milling machine
November 16, 2016 01:48PM
Do you have any more details covering the aluminium frame and rod system under your build plate?
November 16, 2016 02:25PM
PDBeal
Do you have any more details covering the aluminium frame and rod system under your build plate?

The XY table is the mortal remains of an attempt that I made to build a 3D printer with 5 or more print heads/functions. The idea was to have multiple heads indexed in or out of a fixed printing position. Sadly the problems of getting the parts to do what I want both mechanically and in software proved insuperable - or at least beyond my limited persistence.

Mike
November 16, 2016 06:21PM
leadinglights
PDBeal

The XY table is the mortal remains of an attempt that I made to build a 3D printer with 5 or more print heads/functions. The idea was to have multiple heads indexed in or out of a fixed printing position. Sadly the problems of getting the parts to do what I want both mechanically and in software proved insuperable - or at least beyond my limited persistence.

Mike

I can't help you with the hardware, but in case it's of any interest, RepRapFirmware can now support up to 4 independent X carriages on a Cartesian printer.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 13, 2017 08:59PM
hey are you using ramps 1.4 board? can you share your files?
February 15, 2017 02:41PM
Ramps 1.4 board with Repetier firmware. I will try to put them in a dropbox in the next few days but will not be able to do so immediately. Be warned though, the settings on almost any machine are hand tooled to that precise machine so they will be of only limited usefulness.

Mike
February 16, 2017 04:54PM
ok thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login