Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Print chamber heater for Solidoodle printer

Print chamber heater for Solidoodle printer
March 07, 2016 10:19PM
I used a 400W heater from a Stratasys printer, a 220V fan (running at 117VAC, wired in parallel with the heater), and a thermostatic controller to add some heat to allow delamination-free ABS prints. The heater gets the enclosure up to 50C in about 5 minutes- faster than the bed heats up.

I added a plywood base to the printer and cut holes in the bottom to mount the fan and heater. I printed a box to mount the thermostatic controller and screwed it to the wood base. There is a layer of 1" PIR foam in the bottom of the wood base to keep the table from heating up. I violated one of my own carved-in-stone rules about 3D printers and mixed heat with plywood. I hope it lasts! The plywood is 5/8" thick.

Next- replace that awful top cover with something nicer looking and more functional... The filament spool should mount on top and feed filament straight down to the extruder.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Re: Print chamber heater for Solidoodle printer
March 08, 2016 02:45AM
Looks very nice.
Your fan only circulates the warm air inside the chamber?
Do you have a separate fan to clean the fumes before opening the door? Or a charcoal filter?
Re: Print chamber heater for Solidoodle printer
March 08, 2016 05:55AM
Yes, warm air circulates- the fan suck air down into the base and it exits over the heater. No filters.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login