Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New 3D Printer - Frax3D

Posted by frax3d 
New 3D Printer - Frax3D
November 14, 2015 01:02PM
Hi Everybody,

I know it’s not new, but I have created a 3D printer. What makes my 3D printer different is that uses a CoreXY and is all made by laser cut stainless steel. It has all the necessary gadgets as heated bed, E3D extruder, can print in HD and has LCD screen and SD card reader. That has been developed by me with the support of BCN Dynamics.

I’m pretty happy with mi design, but I would love if the reprap community can help me to improve it winking smiley

It’s all an OpenSource project, so feel free to ask and download anything you want. You can find a lot more information and pictures on the Frax3D webpage (http://frax3d.com/) and on the reprap page (http://reprap.org/wiki/Frax3d)

I’ll be waiting for your comments winking smiley

Best regards,
Joel Frax
Attachments:
open | download - Frax3D-1.JPG (356 KB)
open | download - Frax3D-2.JPG (288 KB)
open | download - Frax3D-3.JPG (337.4 KB)
open | download - Frax3D-4.JPG (387.5 KB)
open | download - Frax3D-5.JPG (286.8 KB)
open | download - Frax3D-6.JPG (354.1 KB)
Re: New 3D Printer - Frax3D
November 16, 2015 09:16PM
Thats really cool. Hows the z axis, are you worried about drooping?
November 17, 2015 02:19PM
Hi Bloodember,

First of all thanks for commenting winking smiley The Z axis works with a calibrated leadscrew and a special nut for this leadscrew. And it moves using linear bearings. I attach you some rendered images from my 3D model.

I’m not worried about dropping because thanks to its geometry it have a very rigid shape. The bends of the heated bed holder keep the structure pushing directly were the bearings are (which is the fix part). Keep in mind is a 1.5mm stainless steel sheet metal part.

I did all the calculations using SolidWorks simulation and the drooping was minimum. Unfortunately I don’t have the calculations here with me. I will publish them as soon as I get back home winking smiley

Any question please let me know.
Attachments:
open | download - Z-axis-1.JPG (148.1 KB)
open | download - Z-axis-2.JPG (122.7 KB)
open | download - Z-axis-3.JPG (84.4 KB)
open | download - Z-axis-4.JPG (73.2 KB)
December 26, 2015 12:54AM
Very nice man. You have great drawing skills. A slap on the back for your sheet metal shop also. Beautiful job. I guess the obvious question is, does it print?
December 26, 2015 11:03AM
Thanks elwood127,

That’s a really good question, and obviously the answer is YES!! But as people says, and image is better than a thousand words so I led you a link to a couple of videos of my YouTube channel:
If you have any more question please let me know and thanks for your comments winking smiley
February 22, 2016 01:11AM
Looks like a beautiful thing. Have you printed any test pieces (cube, tug boat, etc) and if so do you mind telling us how accurate they are?
February 23, 2016 02:02PM
Hi Elwood127,
Of course I have printed things. I have been using it for one year now. Here you have some examples I did for my webpage:

And some others parts I did for a medical project that I’m involved with:

It have a really good quality winking smiley You can see more examples on my webpage: http://frax3d.com/

Check out the new Frax3D Printer
Anonymous User
February 24, 2016 01:36AM
The "box" frame is indeed one of the best, if not the best for this purpose because of its intrinsic rigidity. And it can be an enclosure too. The head moves in X and Y, the bed, the heaviest element, plus the printed part, only in Z (a slow movement), which is the way to go too.
I bought a Prusa I3 in kit to "play" and experiment with 3D printer but knowing it or other similar approaches are not very "serious" considering the way they are built.
February 24, 2016 04:31AM
Hi MKSA,
I stared (3 years ago) with a design that was similar to a Prusa, but as you comment it was not the best way.

So I have been improving it and this is my actual model. I’m already working in a printer that will be closed (except on the top face). As soon as I finish it I will update the info winking smiley

I let you an image of the metallic frame so far and a 3D render:

Check out the new Frax3D Printer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login