Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Web cam adapter for telescope

Web cam adapter for telescope
May 17, 2015 08:22PM
I spent an hour or so this morning designing a web cam adapter for my telescope. It came out pretty good:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/web-cam-adapter-for-meade-telescope-eyepiece

Here's a short video shot through it- the cars driving by on the road are about 1/2 mile away...
Re: Web cam adapter for telescope
June 29, 2015 10:26AM
Very cool digital dentist. What do you plan on using this for? Going after a sweet Jupiter/Venus double shot?
June 29, 2015 11:45AM
I more recently designed an adapter to mount my phone on the same telescope- it shoots higher resolution stills and video. You can see it and a picture of the moon here: [www.youmagine.com]

The magnification with the 32mm eyepiece is a little too low for shooting Jupiter/Saturn - all you'll see is a couple circular dots. I have a 14mm eyepiece that I'll be designing a mount for- it's a little harder to do because of the tapered shape of the eyepiece. That one might provide reasonable sized images of Jupiter/Saturn.

I am using the stock camera app in the phone which isn't ideal for astronomy. I'll have to look for an app that allows more manual control of focus and exposure, and maybe also has a timer so the whole thing doesn't vibrate when I tap the screen to take a picture.
June 30, 2015 02:17PM
Good luck designing for that 14 mm eyepiece. Curves are the bane of my engineering existance so I feel your pain. I'm surprised your Droid doesn't have a built in timer for your camera, mine does. I'm sure an advanced camera app should be easy enough to find though. Have you thought about extruding some gears so you could rotate the assembly for an exposure shot?
June 30, 2015 02:35PM
The telescope has motor drive built in, though I'm getting excessive lash in one axis that I need to repair. Once I move it far enough to take out the lash, it tracks well enough for viewing, but I don't know if it is smooth enough for photo work. It's a "toy" telescope, though, not really meant for anything serious.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login