Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rebuilt my printer- Son of MegaMax Lives!

Rebuilt my printer- Son of MegaMax Lives!
April 05, 2015 12:32PM
MegaMax was a great printer but there were a lot of things I wanted to change.

First, he was a little too large- barely fit through doorways and required a huge enclosure. Next, I wanted to separate the electronics from the print chamber so the chamber could be allowed to get very warm. Finally, I wanted it all self contained- no more power supplies in a separate enclosure.

For the new design, I wanted to reuse as many of the old parts as possible to keep costs under control. I started with a redesign of the frame and figured out how to make it 8" narrower without giving up any build volume. I was able to reuse most of the 8020 from the frame and only had to buy about 15 more feet (at $2/lb from the scrap yard). The frame became a simple rectangular structure that would be easy to enclose by simply adding side and top panels. I kept the bed, heater, transformer and SSR.

I had to figure out where to put the electronics. It made the most sense to put that stuff under the printer, but then I had to figure out how to access it for service. Then I got the idea of putting the electronics in a drawer that pulls out on ball bearing slides. That meant I had to make the cables extra long so they could still connect when the drawer was pulled out. But what do you do with the excess cable length when the drawer is closed? It seemed like a bad idea to just let the cables drag on the table under the printer, so routed the cables through (and on) a folding pipe that keeps the cables up off the table.

Changes made in the rebuild:
  • Fully supported linear guides for X and Y axes- bought used via ebay, much more compact and precise than the 1/2" round rails I was using
  • Ball screw drive in the Y axis- rescued from a pick and place machine at a scrap yard- as noisy as it is precise!
  • Smoothieboard controller w GLCD control panel- very easy to use and great performance
  • Clear polycarbonate top, side, and back panels
  • BullDog XL extruder and E3D v6 hot-end- bullet proof!
  • DSP drivers and 32V power supplies for X and Y axes- help smooth out motion of the NEMA-23 motors.
  • Modular X and Y axes with screw terminals to connect cables- can be removed and replaced by loosening two screws.
  • Liberal use of screw terminals throughout the machine to control connector costs and make servicing easy

The clear polycarbonate panels keep the entire mechanism enclosed and visible so it can be operated safely in public places where curious people might touch things they shouldn't. I had to find a way to attach the panels that would allow easy removal to access the print bed and mechanism, and settled on using 3M dual-lock tape. It is like velcro but there's no fuzz. The panels snap on and off easily but stay put. A few-hour-long test print resulted in the build chamber getting up to 107F/42C. I'd like it to get warmer so I may add some weather stripping between the dual-lock tape pieces to seal the enclosure a little better.

The LCD control panel talks to the smoothieboard via SPI, so the cables have to be kept very short. I decided that the best way to mount it and the power switch was inside the electronics drawer. That way, when the machine is displayed publicly, there are no visible controls to tempt curious people to see what happens if they flip a switch, etc. I have yet to install either a latch or handle on the drawer, so it isn't really obvious that it's a drawer when you look at the machine.

I used to print exclusively from SD cards before the rebuild. When I was rebuilding the machine, before I got the LCD control panel, I was using Pronterface to control it via USB cable and not happy about it. I was relieved when the LCD board came in so I could go back to printing from SD cards again. Sneaker-netting SD cards to the machine can be a PITA, but it is the most reliable way to print.

Here's the nearly finished rebuild, dubbed Son of MegaMax (SoM), and the electronics drawer:

The machine weighs around 120 lbs/54 kg, and fits laying on its side into a Prius. The fully supported linear guides in the Y axis make it so solid that I have had to level the bed exactly one time when it was installed, and even after transporting the machine to the makerspace laying on its side in the car, I was able to take it back out, set it upright, and start printing without making ANY adjustments.

Overkill? Definitely! Would I do it again? Definitely!
Re: Rebuilt my printer- Son of MegaMax Lives!
April 07, 2015 02:10PM
hi can i ask what did you use for heated bed , power supply, pvc or silicone heated bed and what did you use to control it , "solid relay or not...
i am trying to build a 24" size bed and i don't want to get a BBQ grill to keep the plastic worm lol.
April 07, 2015 02:29PM
I used a kapton heater from the no longer operating Trinity Labs. It is a 450W heater that runs on 24V. I use a 24V transformer to power it with an SSR switching 117VAC into the primary of the transformer under PID control from the SmoothieBoard. I turned the PID frequency down to 8Hz in the SmoothieBoard so it wouldn't blow circuit breakers- Smoothie runs at about 20Hz by default, I think. The bed is a 12.5" x 12" x 1/4" piece of cast /milled aluminum tooling plate. The bed heats up to 105C in about 5 minutes with this arrangement.
April 07, 2015 03:43PM
thx for the input that will help..
April 10, 2015 12:23AM
Hi...DD. Nicely done sir. I'm in the process of collecting materials and componentry for a similar cartesian printer using openbuild 1000mm v-slot parts and pieces and 23 nemas. My heated bed will be 21 X 30 fixed aluminum. I'd sure appreciate knowing more about you heat bed control setup...perhaps a diagram and part list if you wouldn't mind sharing..? I will be using a Smoothieboard for PID control too so looks to be very similar. Thanks!!
April 10, 2015 05:22PM
Parts:

450W 24V kapton heater w thermistor (from Trinity Labs, no longer in business, ~$40 IIRC)
500W 24VAC buck/boost transformer (from ebay, $50 shipped)
D1225 SSR (Crydom) - from the junk at the makerspace

I have a 10A circuit breaker acting as a power switch for the entire printer. Each of the power supplies, except the transformer, has its own fuse.

I let the high current MOSFET on the smoothieboard switch the voltage to the SSR which switches AC power into the transformer. Setting it up that way minimized config file edits. I use PID control turned down to 8Hz maximum. As far as the smoothieboard is concerned, the high current MOSFET is switching power directly to the heater. If you can believe the temperature reported by the LCD panel and pronterface, this setup keeps the bed within +/- 0.5C of the target temperature. The bed heats to 105C in about 5 minutes.
April 10, 2015 05:41PM
Thanks for spelling that all out for me Dentist.... I appreciate the help. I've ordered some high temperature heater cord (electrically insulated), that I'm encasing within the aluminum bed plate as the heating element. I'd planned to feed that with 120v mains power running through the SSR for Smoothieboard PID control. I'm unsure about powering with 24v vs 120v relating to the heat cord that's rated for mains power up to 200C. I guess I'll run tests on mains power first to see how the total length of cord I'm using responds using a Variac transformer I have. I'll have to dig it out of storage to see what the specs on it are. I used it years ago to power a styrofoam hot wire cutter.
October 06, 2015 08:27PM
Great work Mark! Not just the machine but the instructables!
I am reading Step 9 now.
I am planning to build a big machine too. A little longer than yours, which will print me some full size stuff.

I am in the stage of studying everything I can learn from this site and other resources.
I have experience on building desktop CNC, and a couple of good friends running a CNC machine shop.

Again, thanks for sharing all the information, especially those why and why not's.

Printer I bought: 2015 Sunhokey Prusa i3
Printer I am designing: Another big CoreXY machine
October 06, 2015 11:46PM
Thanks! I'm far from being an expert on this stuff, but I tried to learn from the many mistakes I made along the way. I had very valuable help from people at the Milwaukee Makerspace who are experts, but my machine is still an amateur effort. Very little real engineering went into it- it was mostly "if you're not sure it's good/rigid/precise enough, it isn't" which resulted in the sort of overbuilding found in my "design".

I had a couple complaints that the instructable was not in the "buy the parts on this list from these sources" and "insert screw A into hole B and tighten" format, but people with just a little mechanical experience can duplicate my machine with whatever parts they have available. I had zero experience with these types of machines when I started and was able to come up with this design as only the second generation (you can see the first generation here: MegaMax). I think the electronics in a drawer concept was one of the better things I did in the design, though probably not the first time that's been done. Your CNC experience will serve you well in building a 3D printer- you already understand the importance of rigid construction and adequate control and power supply electronics.

One of these days I'm going to replace the printed X axis motor mount and idler/belt tensioner with aluminum parts. That will eliminate almost all the printed parts in the machine. I know that's heresy on a RepRap forum, but if you want quality, nothing beats the solid reliability of metal on metal.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2015 11:52PM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login