Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Our rainbow Prusa i2

Posted by TBJ 
TBJ
Our rainbow Prusa i2
March 03, 2015 05:39PM
Here's our multicoloured i2, it's a work in progress. We're printing it on a slightly old and crumbling i1. smiling smiley

I know it's nothing special, but I'm proud to finally be getting good enough prints out of my i1 to be building another printer. Also, I don't think I've seen a multicoloured one before.
Re: Our rainbow Prusa i2
March 05, 2015 12:44PM
It does looks nice. Its good to see people still building I2's

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2015 05:07PM by Shank man.
April 13, 2015 10:45AM
Shank man
Its good to see people still building I2's

Why?
April 13, 2015 03:55PM
Because they are quite good printers and quite capable of printing small precise items.
Its all well and good making bigger printers with bigger beds but some of us have taken the time to tune the design for some remarkable results.
Ive uprated the extruder and fitted a hexagon all metal hot end.
Ive modified the x-carriage for it and the cooling it needs.
Ive modified the bed mounts to a rigid heated bed.

Its a damn site more stable than some of those cheap plastic i3 kits knocking about.

Ive been working with a .3mm nozzle and printing tiny parts that others have been unable to print with much more expensive printers.
Ive recently printed a commercial print for a tiny quad copter prototype nobody else could print.

This was part of a housing for a sensor. 9mm across and 0.4mm walls.

Ive also got hold of a .2mm nozzle for my hexagon hot end to see how much smaller i can get the detail.

Im about to build an i3 based printer for larger prints and dual hot end for support material but its going to be a p3steel like design to overcome the i3 problem with the wobbly z-axis structure. All steel joints welded for rigidity. But its to complement my i2 not replace it.

So dont knock the i2 its still a very viable printer design.

Gordon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2015 04:11PM by gordonendersby.
April 13, 2015 04:36PM
What a well used i2 looks like.

Gordon
April 13, 2015 05:57PM
Bah, someone has always got something bad to say...
April 16, 2015 12:50PM
well said Gordon.My I2 has over 800 print hours on it and still going strong. It produces excellent prints although there was quite a bit of tweaking to get it to that point. 10-12 hour print jobs are no problem.
April 21, 2015 01:41PM
Shank man
10-12 hour print jobs are no problem.

And even a lot longer...!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login