FunBot a accidentally created reprap mini printer smiling smiley

Posted by Cliff Mellangård 
Re: FunBot a accidentally created reprap mini printer smiling smiley
March 10, 2015 09:50PM
20mm test cube X 20.0, Y 20.0, Z 20.0

Worked good!
March 11, 2015 02:57AM
Cliff, the Funbot is spending it's last night at home tonight. It's printing well enough that I'm going to go ahead and take it to it's new home at my office tomorrow.

My brother, that I gave my Smartrap to, says he wants me to print the parts for him to make one... So there may be another one in the future.

Gonna send you a PM.
March 11, 2015 04:17PM
madmike8
20mm test cube X 20.0, Y 20.0, Z 20.0

Worked good!
Awsome mike smiling smiley
Exactly wath I where after winking smiley
The benefits with the pulley caps is so the motor neads lesser force to move the small steps and the reason you got better results winking smiley

Now go ahead and build one for your brother winking smiley
March 24, 2015 12:36PM
Yeah, I'm going to build another one. I'm going to pick up some 3/8" x 36" Drill Rod from Fastenal ~$8 locally. Fastenal also has the Bronze bushings I used in the first one's build, but I'm printing some 3/8" PLA bushings on the new printer as I type. I will use a wood base this time, but probably still get aluminum bed plates. They seem to work good. The bowden setup is working great, so I'll stick with that and a chinese all metal hotend. Istill have some $5 steppers left over to use, so hopefully the build goes together quickly.

I'll probably start a new build thread in the Smartrap section when the build begins.

The first one has been running beautifully...
March 24, 2015 02:42PM
Sounds good mike smiling smiley
I don't know how serge will take it as my design is so different even if it started as a remix of his smartrap smiling smiley
I will try to have a look there when you get started winking smiley
At least I have work at the factory for a while so I will have some trouble to do frequent updates for a while.
cheers.

ps...
iam more or less extremely tired every weekday now for a while and only have the weekends to do updates now smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2015 02:43PM by Cliff Mellangård.
March 24, 2015 02:55PM
He doesn't seem to have a problem with regpye and fabrice's offshoots...

Keep on Working Cliff...
March 30, 2015 06:53PM
Printed the new parts for #2. I just have to print the Y bearing holder in blue, and then I switch to white for the rest of the parts.

Link to start of build thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2015 07:54PM by madmike8.
March 31, 2015 10:04AM
Very nice mike smiling smiley
May 25, 2015 01:35PM
Hi.
What material and what settings do you guys use to print the parts for the funbot?
I thought I'd start with PLA, 50% infill and 2 shells. Anything wrong with that?

Thanks in advance.
May 25, 2015 05:15PM
Hi my friend there is a couple of builders hanging around the smartrap section here you could ask wath they use smiling smiley

[forums.reprap.org]

I would recommend you to use a more dense infill and 3 shells if you want it really solid.
Takes a lot more time but probably saves you a lot of problems later on.

For a quicker print don't save on the infill density but use 2 shells instead smiling smiley

Wath slicer do you use ???

While I prototyped the design so did I usually use this slic3r setting for it.
Fill density 0.3 and the same for layer height where I even use 0.4 some times smiling smiley
May 25, 2015 07:23PM
I printed in ABS. I used 50% infill on the Z base and the Z carriage. I used 30% infill on the rest of the X, Y, and Z axis. I used 15% infill on LCD and Ramps stuff.
3 shells on everything.

Edit: I used a Bowden system. If I were going direct drive, I would print the X carriage at 50% too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2015 07:25PM by madmike8.
May 25, 2015 07:28PM
Cliff, any updates on your new design. I saw the video a few weeks ago. Looks promising.
May 26, 2015 02:39AM
Cliff Mellangård
Wath slicer do you use ???

I'm currently forced to use Skeinforge, because it's the only slicer that works with my printer (Weistek WT150) out of the box.
As I just started 3D printing, I don't have enough knowledge (yet) to get other slicers to work.
That's one of the reasons why I want to build a Funbot, to get the knowledge. Once I have it running, I'll maybe build a bigger thing.
I can't print ABS yet, as my printer doesn't have a heatbed, but this will change, soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2015 02:41AM by uhrheber.
May 26, 2015 09:14AM
I'm just in the process of ordering an extruder, and I'm thinking of buying this one:
[www.aliexpress.com]

As the seller offers a free spare nozzle, would it make sense to order a smaller one, like 0.2 or 0.3mm?
Is the printer's resolution fine enough to print in 0.1mm layer height?
May 26, 2015 02:17PM
uhrheber
I'm just in the process of ordering an extruder, and I'm thinking of buying this one:
[www.aliexpress.com]

As the seller offers a free spare nozzle, would it make sense to order a smaller one, like 0.2 or 0.3mm?
Is the printer's resolution fine enough to print in 0.1mm layer height?
In my opinion so is 0.4 the best of 2 things when it comes to speed and detail on your printed objects smiling smiley
The smaller the nozzle the slower will you have to print for the hotend to be able to extrude properly,you can always compensate with higher tempratures but that give other problems smiling smiley

The extruder is pretty much the same I use but I would probably recommend you to try the setting madmike use with a Bowden setup.
It works with a mk8 but you get less problems with a smaller weight on the arm smiling smiley
May 26, 2015 02:22PM
madmike8
Cliff, any updates on your new design. I saw the video a few weeks ago. Looks promising.
Thanks mike its a slow process but iam getting closer smiling smiley
Iam waiting for my 7 inch raspberry pi screen iam planning on using for it smiling smiley
iam going to experiment with replacing the ordinary lcd with a raspberry pi 2 running pronterface smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2015 02:22PM by Cliff Mellangård.
Attachments:
open | download - latestfb.jpg (385.1 KB)
May 27, 2015 03:07AM
I'm not familiar with bowden extruders, so I'll rather start with a classical one. But I'll definitely try that later.
Thanks for being patient with a noob :-)
May 27, 2015 05:10PM
uhrheber
I'm not familiar with bowden extruders, so I'll rather start with a classical one. But I'll definitely try that later.
Thanks for being patient with a noob :-)
We all have bin noobs sometime smiling smiley
you always have to learn new things when it comes to 3d printers smiling smiley
May 28, 2015 12:33AM
Anything I can help you with, let me know.

You will like the Funbot.
May 28, 2015 03:32PM
Thank you, madmike8.

I've started printing out the parts (starting with the y-base), and they came out nice so far.

In fact, I need a bigger printer, so I'll use the Funbot to learn, and then give it to my son.
Then I'll build a big one smiling smiley
May 28, 2015 05:28PM
The new design iam working on will be completely modular where you decide the size with the wood pieces and rods how big it should print in a simple manner smiling smiley
Iam only doing the prototype small as its easier to handle while doing the design smiling smiley
If you look on my latest picture so do I use printed corner pieces to make the assembly a lot easier on the new design smiling smiley
June 01, 2015 04:54AM
Maybe I'm dumb, but I can't find the picture you're talking about.
Would you be so kind to post a direct link?
Thank you.
June 02, 2015 08:23PM
Here's a pic of a recent print with Funbot #1

It's a TriTom track drive wheel.

June 03, 2015 09:35AM
Latest project video smiling smiley
[www.youtube.com]
June 03, 2015 10:09AM
I saw this the other day. Link They are loading a A20 Android TV Box with Raspian and Octoprint. That got me to thinking it's like a RPi with built in WiFi, Remote, and a case. You can find them in $50 range. I wonder if we could do the same thing and put the remote to use?
June 03, 2015 06:10PM
with octo print do you not nead a remote as you can control your printer with ipad,mobile phone or android pad smiling smiley
Iam taking this a bit further as I can code firmware,control and use octoprint the way I do it smiling smiley
It is simply a small quad core computer in the back of the printer.
Actually do I see more problems with not using a raspberry pi because it have a larger following and I have used cubieboards and hackberrys before and they give you a lot of trouble if you are fresh with Linux.
pi 2 is also more powerfull then the a20 cpu wath I know ?
I have tested octoprint and found many problems with it.
If you use a pi so could also simply connect at home from the main computer to transfer the stl and gcode files if you want with its ip address smiling smiley

Ther is also astro print that is commercial that I have not tested??

Its still early in progress smiling smiley

The backbone of the raspberry is all its extra stuff you can get for a cheap buck smiling smiley
June 11, 2015 05:33AM
For $50 I can get a Raspberry Pi 2, or an Odroid C1, and a 3.5" touch TFT.
Much better hardware for octoprint than an A20 box.

Banana Pi is a somewhat better choice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2015 05:35AM by uhrheber.
June 15, 2015 06:05AM
Cliff,

I've now printed nearly all parts, but I'm unsure what bushings to print. You have so many on thingiverse.
So, which one is the best? I'm using 10mm chrome plated aluminium rods (polished).
And can I use them also for the Z carriage?

Thanks
June 15, 2015 06:27PM
igus for z axis.
winged for y and x smiling smiley

This is only because the z axis have to lift so much weight smiling smiley
print one and check the size to your pipes and continou until you have a perfect fit smiling smiley
Keep in mind that the first time you slide them one so should they not slide to softly winking smiley
You nead to slightly grind them on the pipe until they slide softly .

Printed bushings can be a pain that's why I left them for the next design sadly.
to many have problems with printed bushings as the difference is so large on all printers people use on the end result.
when I have the time so will I do a lm8uu version .

there is a video on the thing page explaining the winged bushings winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2015 06:29PM by Cliff Mellangård.
June 16, 2015 03:59AM
But which one of the Igus?
funbot_id10_igus_bushing_v2.stl or funbot_id10_5_igus_bushing_v2.stl ?

Off the funbot_wingedbush_eu_10.stl I have already printed several, but all of them are a bit too tight, so I have to play with the size.
They move smoothly once in motion, but the static friction is too high.

I printed one in Nylon, and I guess that it will outlive me, but it is too flexible to stay in the holder, and won't center on the rod reliably.
I guess that a body printed in PLA or ABS, combined with some sort of thin sleeve or rings made of nylon would be ideal, but as I'm new to this business, I don't really know how to construct them.

Does anybody know if these brass bushings with graphite inlays from China are any good?
[www.aliexpress.com]

They seem to be copies of the Ultimaker bushings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2015 05:30AM by uhrheber.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login