Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First iteration soldering iron holder

Posted by Jasper1984 
First iteration soldering iron holder
June 12, 2013 05:30PM
It is on github, but consider it the 'dev' branch! Dont think i'll put it on fabfabbers/thingiverse et al without improvement.

That bit of wire runs inside, and is a bit too much of a pain to get in. Basically i poked two holes and ran the wires to the front and twisted them together.

I did that once, then i ran them through the front there. It probably could use more wires so it doesnt touch the side.

It took quite a lot of force (waterpomptang) to get the poles through those holes.

It needs a good weight in the bottom.The weight i put in is plenty.

Notes: when i actually solder i clean up a bit first and make room. Especially since the soldering iron is so shitty.(my other one broke.. I should get less cheap) Its wire is also thick so i have to check that's alright.

Imo it leaves quite a lot to be desired, but knowing the caveits, i do dare use it personally, but will try avoid leave it sitting alone. I wouldnt really recommend it..
Re: First iteration soldering iron holder
June 14, 2013 07:08PM
Hi Jasper, the first thing that came to mind.. And something I have never quite understood myself, but why not make a holder that holds the soldering iron at the handle? smiling smiley

I would like to see it usable without any vitamins smiling smiley
Re: First iteration soldering iron holder
June 14, 2013 08:08PM
Good point, but beer cans and metal wires are everywhere! Surely we should explore what can be done with them? (Edit: like a metal version of this stirling engine, many mechanical moving parts can be put outside the can) Besides, if I ever want to design a whole soldering station instead, the tin can is the least of the vitamins.

Holding at the handle and might be a good idea though, but if it fails and the cage is plastic too, the soldering iron might melt through it all, while with a can, the can probably conducts out too much heat to melt the plastic, and if it does, it might not get hot enough to melt through for instance electrical wiring.

Additionally you'd need a way to make that(putting it on the handle holder) convenient.

About the risks, i am worried both overrating and underrating them.. Also maybe i undersold it in the first place..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2013 06:26AM by Jasper1984.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login