Advanced

Great new SiLentStepStick TMC2208 is not silent ;(

Posted by abuharsky 
Great new SiLentStepStick TMC2208 is not silent ;(
June 25, 2017 12:17AM
[video]qkPHACyynKo[/video]

[youtu.be]

TMC2208 SilentStepStick not Silent ;(

low noise only at 30mm/s, but on speeds more than 60mm/s - noise like on this video

Sound volume increased for this video, so, some other sounds also hearable. But others sounds does't matter. The main problem in motors noise. sad smiley

Any help?

#update

I'm using mega2560 + ramps1.4
Firmware: repetier

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2017 03:38AM by abuharsky.
Re: Great new SiLentStepStick TMC2208 is not silent ;(
June 25, 2017 03:34AM
What are your steps/mm? One possible explanation is that you are using 8-bit electronics and firmware that has to use double stepping to achieve 60mm/sec speed. Double stepping will mess up the microstep interpolation logic in the TMC drivers. AFAIR, Marlin switches to double stepping at steps rates around 10kHz, which would correspond to a speed of 50mm/sec if you have 200 steps/mm.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 25, 2017 03:40AM
I'm using mega2560 + ramps1.4
Firmware: repetier

80steps per mm on both X and Y
June 25, 2017 03:54AM
I'm also tried 1/8 micro stepping [youtu.be]
June 25, 2017 05:00AM
your inside a big wooden reverberation box...

add some sound dampening foam.
June 25, 2017 05:14AM
Dust
your inside a big wooden reverberation box...

add some sound dampening foam.

Wooden box is another problem. In this post I search for motors / stepper driver noise solution.
June 25, 2017 01:48PM
If you have to stick with Mega2560 and Ramps, you can try to use a separate 24V or 36V powersupply for the stepper drivers only. That made a huge difference for my TMC2100, but it really got silent with 32bit controller ( RADDS and RRFirmware)
June 25, 2017 02:16PM
o_lampe
If you have to stick with Mega2560 and Ramps, you can try to use a separate 24V or 36V powersupply for the stepper drivers only. That made a huge difference for my TMC2100, but it really got silent with 32bit controller ( RADDS and RRFirmware)

Thank you for advice with separate power supply, I will to try.

But I can't understand difference with mega2560 and 32-bit controller with the same stepper driver and only 80steps per mm.
June 26, 2017 02:43AM

But I can't understand difference with mega2560 and 32-bit controller with the same stepper driver and only 80steps per mm.

The 8bit MPU is able to produce the step-pulses fast enough, but they are not evenly spread. That's why they are noisier.
July 13, 2017 08:35AM
o_lampe

The 8bit MPU is able to produce the step-pulses fast enough, but they are not evenly spread. That's why they are noisier.

This is mistake hypothesis.
July 13, 2017 08:40AM
Hello all,

Mr. Stephan replied to my question about TMC2208 noise:

Stephan Watterott
The 12V power supply can also be a problem, because stepper motors are controlled with a constant current.
So at higher speeds the current can not be reached with a 12V power supply, please try a 24V one.

Stephan Watterott
On high frequencies the Skin effect is working, so the resistance of the motor coils are high and you need more voltage to reach this current.

It turns out that the description of the goods is false, since it is written that they work at "Motor Voltage - 5.5 - 36V" and silent.

But they are silent only at >= 24V
November 30, 2017 10:50AM
Hi. I have recently incorporated TCM2208 drivers to my machine. And I have found this:

12V is not enough. Steppers were weak, loosing steps and in standstill, they screamed in StealthChop2 mode.
Then I used Dell charger 19.5V/4A just for steppers. Torque is much higher now. When printing and moving fast (120mm/s and 200mm/s), steppers were loud. But when I lowered current (from 0.9A to about 0.5A), steppers became quiet and torque is enough. Now I am happy

I am going to try SpreadCycle soon, but with enough torque, I will probably not use it.
November 30, 2017 11:55AM
It would be helpful to know what motors were used by @abuharsky and @kolin. They may have been low current high inductance motors, which are not suitable for operation with a 12V supply anyway. Hint: if a bipolar motor has "Rated voltage: 12V" in the specification, then it is NOT suitable for use in a 3D printer with 12V power, because much more than 12V will be needed to reach sensible speeds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2017 11:55AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 07, 2020 03:22PM
dc42
It would be helpful to know what motors were used by @abuharsky and @kolin. They may have been low current high inductance motors, which are not suitable for operation with a 12V supply anyway. Hint: if a bipolar motor has "Rated voltage: 12V" in the specification, then it is NOT suitable for use in a 3D printer with 12V power, because much more than 12V will be needed to reach sensible speeds.

I have the same issue.
My motor is this: [www.datasheetcafe.com].
I asked someone who told me it's not a low current motor, rather high current instead. I run my printer with a RAMPS and 12V.
Maybe I'll try another board, heard good things about the SKR 1.4, what do you think?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login