I don't know if this is posted in the correct forum, this just looked like it was pretty close to what I need.
I have a RepRapGuru Prusa i3 diy kit that was working wonderfully up to this morning. I developed a serious clog in the nozzle which I fixed with ease. I looked on YouTube to help troubleshoot the problem, and I may have messed up pretty bad. The video I watched said to adjust the voltage pot on the extruder stepper driver, which I attempted to do even though I was too lazy to go get my multimeter and check it first. I think I killed something, the driver will not drive any of the axes. I can drive the extruder motor with the other drivers. It still stutters, which was part of the problem in the first case. The extruder stepper motor is good, I put on a new driver that came as a spare, and it didn't help any.
If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this problem, all help or advice is welcome. I have the option of running a dual extruder setup, can I just swap the stepper driver over to the second extruder pins and adjust accordingly in the arduino files?
I'm running Marlin V.2 on an Arduino Mega with a RAMPS 1.4 controller and stepstick drivers in case this information is needed.
Should I assume the worst and order a new RAMPS board, they are not that expensive and a spare might not hurt to have laying around if that isn't the issue.
It could be an electronic problem, like intermittend contact of the motor plug or the microstepping jumpers.
But also the filament drive can cause a stuttering motion when the idler bearing doesn't provide enough pressure.
I think it might the gear in the extruder that is pulling the filament. It seems to be stripped out. I got the extruder extruding finally, I installed a new driver on the second extruder pins and changed the pins in the arduino files of extruder 1 to be extruder 2. Now its just stuttering really bad and making a horrible grinding noise. I lightly held the filament going into the extruder and it wasn't moving at all. So I think now I need to look into upgrading my extruder. I'll play around with it more this week after work. Between this forum and reddit I hope to have it running in the next week. Thanks for the advice.
I made a pretty noob mistake. When I changed my stepper driver, I forgot to jump the board for microstepping. So instead of super small movements, it was grinding away at my filament until there was too little to push through. Moved my jumpers to the new locations and it's working great. Thanks for the help!