Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper motor not working

Posted by kjrinaz0 
Stepper motor not working
January 07, 2017 01:49PM
My stepper motors shake and whine but don't move I Have used my volt meter curent runs through the motor, Then I tested my wires curent runs good through it, I looked at my connections they look like the work, My marlin board should work Because my lcd screen works. What else could I be missing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2017 02:16PM by kjrinaz0.
Re: Stepper motor not working
January 07, 2017 09:52PM
Lots of causes

Firstly wiring... any color based wiring guide you are using is probably wrong. Find out which wire pairs are one coil with multimeter.
On the reprap end the plug is pins 1 and 2 are coil A, pins 3 and 4 are coil B, A and B doesn’t matter, it will just reverse the direction.

Secondly Micro stepping. Set your controller to use at least 1/16th micro stepping. These are commonly set with with jumpers over jumper pins on the board.

Thirdly, current limit, set with adjusting the vref pot (use a non conducting screw driver or risk damaging the driver)
There are many pages that document this eg [reprap.org]

Forth, the steppers have to be the correct type. They must be capable of being run in Bipolar mode. (most 5 wire steppers motors need physical modification to work, if they can be modified at all) Also needs correct rated voltage.. 2 - 4v (12v steppers will not work on a 12v supply, steppers needs 2-4 times supply voltage to work on modern controllers)
January 08, 2017 03:44AM
Dust
Firstly wiring... any color based wiring guide you are using is probably wrong. Find out which wire pairs are one coil with multimeter.
On the reprap end the plug is pins 1 and 2 are coil A, pins 3 and 4 are coil B, A and B doesn’t matter, it will just reverse the direction.

Just an addition: If the stepper only vibrates and all the above mentioned steps have been checked, you can switch wires 1-2 or 3-4.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2017 03:44AM by o_lampe.
January 14, 2017 11:19PM
One trick to easily find which wires are pairs on a bipolar stepper is to spin the motor shaft. Then short two of the wires together with a jumper or something. Spin the motor shaft by hand again, if it is considerably harder to turn, those two wires are a pair.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login