Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem with the stepper or driver?

Posted by MilloMille 
Problem with the stepper or driver?
October 24, 2016 08:52AM
I have had the same problem a few times already. I mostly get this problem after I do a hard shut down (pull the power plug) while running a G-Code (i.e. because I ran into an end stop or the stepper made wired nosies)

I connect via Pronterface and try to move the y-axis (its always the same axis). The stepper makes a sound like it would be moving but the axis doesnt move at all. I then shut down the power supply and switch the cables for the x-axis and y-axis motor. So now the y-axis runs via the x-driver and visa versa. I initally did so because I wanted to find out if the driver or the stepper is broken but both motors will run without problems. I then switch the cables again so that motors and drivers match each other again. After I connect everything is back to normal.

Can someone please explain what is happening? Should I exchange the y-axis stepper or driver? Did someone else experience the same problems?
Re: Problem with the stepper or driver?
October 24, 2016 04:25PM
It sounds like a wiring problem. Inspect the cables and connectors carefully.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
October 25, 2016 05:08AM
But if it would be a wiring problem and wouldnt be able to run the stepper at all right? I only get this problem after i pull the power plug
October 25, 2016 08:57AM
You swapped the connections to the controller and suddenly it started working again. What you changed was the physical position of the connectors either at the motors or at the controller board. The Y axis cable connector was probably not making proper contact with either the motor or the controller board. If it was the driver, the problem would continue (busted ICs don't spontaneously fix themselves). Motors almost never fail. That leaves the cables/connectors as the most likely (99.999%) culprit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2016 08:57AM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login