Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

internal rewire 5 wire unipolar to 4, 6 or 8 wire bi-polar

Posted by FredARose 
internal rewire 5 wire unipolar to 4, 6 or 8 wire bi-polar
December 27, 2010 05:53PM
I have two slo-syn 5 wire, 50 oz. in motors and would like to rewire them internally to 4, 6, or 8 wire bipolar configuration.

Have one opened and need a little help figuring out how the coils should be wired.

Anyone ever do this or know where I can get wiring (rebuilding?) schematics?

Thank you,
Fred
Re: internal rewire 5 wire unipolar to 4, 6 or 8 wire bi-polar
December 28, 2010 07:21AM
Some basic descriptions are on the Stepper Motor Wiki page. I just refined this page to include how 5 lead motors are typically wired.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

January 04, 2011 04:22PM
I'd be pretty cautious about opening the steppers. From all the reading i've done about them, they are very touchy, and just disassemble and reassembling them can put them off-spec. probably safer to rewire it externally. just slide some heatshrink on to hide any messiness.
January 04, 2011 05:45PM
Buback Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd be pretty cautious about opening the steppers.
> From all the reading i've done about them, they
> are very touchy, and just disassemble and
> reassembling them can put them off-spec. probably
> safer to rewire it externally. just slide some
> heatshrink on to hide any messiness.

Unfortunately 5-wire steppers have the coils wired together internally, nothing can be done to rewire them externally. I would definitely be cautious about opening them though, especially if they are very expensive.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
January 06, 2011 07:52AM
I've opened some steppers and these weren't more difficult to assemble or disassemble than ordinary electric motors or generators. They simply have many sub-coils and funnily formed magnet kernels inside.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

January 09, 2011 10:41AM
I have opend them up and they have round PC boards at each end of the motor. All the windings are connected to traces on these boards and it would be real easy to change where they connect. Each coil-node, there are eight of them, has two windings with one windings wires coming out at one end of the motor and connecting to the PC board at that end and the other winding's wires come out at the other end and connect to the other PC board. I have not found how the dual windings are connected on any sites and woudl like to learn how they do it. Any detail on how to wind stepper motors would be very helpful!

Thanks,
Fred
check this website it will explain what you need to know

"http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/stepper/wires.htm"
June 12, 2014 03:36AM
Hi all,
I find all the above verry interesting, I have a small five wire stepper with no markings, I would like to re wire it as a four wire, the diagrams above though clear to understand using four coils but confusing when my motor has eight coils, can some kind person show me how to interconnect eight coils in the motor to four wires.

living in hopes.
Nigel
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login