Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

6v steppers

Posted by dissidence 
6v steppers
October 22, 2010 09:01PM
i was looking for some information on stepper motor voltages, i am looking at buying a .9 deg/step motor, but i am running my repstrap at 12v but the only motor i have found is 6v, how hard is it to drive it at 12v that i am feeding my stepper drivers.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
Re: 6v steppers
October 23, 2010 02:42AM
The specified voltage of a motor isn't important, as long as it's on or below your supply voltage (12 V here). What's important is the current going through the motor and all stepper motor drivers I'm aware of come with some sort of current limiting capability, aka. "chopper".

So, using 6V motors is just fine. Mine are specified 1.5 Volts and couldn't run better.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

October 23, 2010 06:12AM
6 volts is good. The driver will "chop" the 12 volts to limit the current and keep the motors from burning up, assuming you do your part in adjusting them correctly.

I'm looking at your blog, I guess you have the extruder stepper already. PWM stands for "pulse width modulation".

It looks like you did a nice neat job on the protoboard wiring.

--
My blog's Reprap feed: [blog.markbova.com]
I'm currently working on a stock Mendel build with a Seeeduino Mega and four Pololu A4983 stepper controllers.
October 23, 2010 09:18AM
thats good to know i was not overly sure about that, so far i got my all my bigger stepper motors out of old vinyl plotter from a sign shop and they are all .9 deg steppers so i am trying to use all the same stepping just to save me trouble on the setup, and i figure its better for accuracy too, to bad there is next to no information out there on them. but hey they seem to work in all my tests so far.

thanks for the complement, i try to keep things clean, i know it goes a long way when it comes to reliability.

this stepper i am looking for is for my z axis, i still need to make my pulleys for it, any one out there have pulleys for 3/8 ready rod to the stock mendle belts.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
October 25, 2010 03:32PM
I'm using .9 degree steppers as well. Unfortunately, I'll have to edit every single firmware release, since they all assume 1.8 degree steppers. (not that big a deal, really)

As i understand it, microstepping doesn't really increase resolution since the steps between detents aren't perfect. half steps should be just as accurate as full steps, but below that they loose accuracy. So starting with a smaller step angle will potentially lead to higher resolution (assuming your rods are straight, bed level, etc. your machine has to be pretty finely tuned)
VDX
October 26, 2010 03:52AM
... read the documents atached here - it's an indepth view of some related aspects ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
October 29, 2010 02:48AM
I run 0.9 degree 3 volt steppers with 12 volt supply, and have no issues at all.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
October 31, 2010 08:52PM
i am glad to hear that, but i never did clue in to how much more the steppers i got out of the one printer were over there 1.8 degree counterparts but i will the extra accuracy they give me.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login