Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

buying parts for auto leveling

Posted by zkent 
buying parts for auto leveling
March 01, 2016 12:20PM
I am following this video series to add auto-leveling to my Prusa i3. [youtu.be]

I have printed the parts I need and have the servo and ss-5 endstop in my cart at Amazon. What I need to know is what wiring I need to connect the endstop to the RAMPs board? I bought this printer as a kit and all parts were included so I am learning slowly.

The switch
[www.amazon.com]

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2016 12:24PM by zkent.
Re: buying parts for auto leveling
March 01, 2016 12:44PM
If it's long enough, use the wiring for the current z endstop. Otherwise use some 20AWG or thinner wire for the endstop wiring, and Amazon has kits for the Dupont connector the RAMPS. Link for one of the kits: [www.amazon.com] For a crimping tool, just scroll down a little and look in the 'what others bought' section at that link. I bought the SainSmart crimper.

Just solder the wires onto the switch using the common and NC connections. Install a two pin Dupont connector to the other end. Don't forget to use the gcode M119 to make sure the endstop is working correctly.

That Dupont kit is also good for making an extension for the servo wires.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2016 12:46PM by stephenrc.
Re: buying parts for auto leveling
March 01, 2016 02:08PM
Thanks. I am not planning on replacing the endstop so I need a new cable. The endstops that came with the kit are the makerbot endstop (a small read circuit board with switch and connector installed) so the cables wouldn't match up anyway. This is an additional stop for an auto-leveling arm I am adding. I thought maybe there was a cable I could purchase but I don't mind buying the parts and learning. Thanks for the guidance.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login