Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dual Y axis stepper problems

Posted by 1andchin 
Dual Y axis stepper problems
February 15, 2016 11:11AM
Hi all,

I realise this is a very frequently encountered problem, but I keep getting stuck with the documented advice and wondered if anyone could help. So my printer I'm making has a dual stepper Y axis, running of a Duet 0.85. I had both steppers wired up in parallel but kept running into issues with motors skipping. After reading around, I thought rewiring them in series would help (if I could get em wired correctly!!).

I've tried to use the infamous series wiring diagram posted as part of the reprap pro instructions.

My steppers are NEMA 17's, the LDO-42STH47-1684AC models. The ones I have are not wired but have 6 pins that a connector plugs into, with only 4 of these pins being used (so two 'blanks'). I was given wires and connectors with the steppers, but the colour coding is completely different.. if you imagine a birds eye view of a stepper motor, with the spindle pointing up towards you and the pins downwards it goes:

Pin 1 = BLACK
Pin 2 = (N/A {BLANK})
Pin 3 = RED
Pin 4 = GREEN
Pin 5 = (N/A {BLANK})
Pin 6 = BLUE

I keep getting it wrong trying to think what my wire colours correspond to the wiring colours on that diagram of the left stepper. If anyone can help me figure this out I'd appreciate it!
Re: Dual Y axis stepper problems
February 15, 2016 11:50AM
Different makes of stepper motor use different pinouts. So you need to find the pairs. With the motor disconnected, spin the motor shaft to see how easy it is, then short two wires together and try spinning it again. If it is harder to spin, you have found a pair. Otherwise try shorting a different pair of wires.

Once you have found the pairs, wire them as above. In the above diagram, red and blue form a pair, and green and black form the other pair.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Dual Y axis stepper problems
February 15, 2016 01:32PM
dc42
Different makes of stepper motor use different pinouts. So you need to find the pairs. With the motor disconnected, spin the motor shaft to see how easy it is, then short two wires together and try spinning it again. If it is harder to spin, you have found a pair. Otherwise try shorting a different pair of wires.

Ah okay- for some reason although I'd read this it hadn't made sense in practice. I've got it working now smiling smiley Also had to make a slight modification as I need the steppers to act in opposite directions for the belts to work. Anyways all sorted now grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login