Posted by Janosch2015 
Duet - Extruder not working
January 07, 2016 10:55AM
Hey there,

this is my setup:

Board: duet V0.8.5 + Duex V0.2a
Firmware: RepRapFirmware-1.09m-dc42
Software: Repetier Host or Pronterface

The stepper motors of X,Y,Z-axis work as expected but the Extruder Motors on the Duet (E0,E1) and Duex (E1 - E4) just don't want to move.

In the config.g file I defined 6 tools:

M563 P1 D3 ; Define tool 0 (E0)
M563 P2 D4 ; Define tool 1 (E1)
M563 P3 D5 ; Define tool 2 (E2)
M563 P4 D6 ; Define tool 3 (E3)
M563 P5 D7 ; Define tool 4 (E4)
M563 P6 D8 ; Define tool 5 (E5)

Before I try to move the extruder motor, I select a tool by sending for example:

T0;

Then I send for example:

G1 E5;

and nothing happens. Also the current supplied to the board is not changing at all.

Do I somehow have to activate the drivers or is there any restriction in the software/firmware? Do I use the "tools" wrong?

thanks a lot in advance!
Re: Duet - Extruder not working
January 07, 2016 02:40PM
You are trying to select tool 0 by sending T0, but you have defined your tools starting from T1. The convention is to start from 0. Also, the D parameter to M563 is the extruder drive number, not the global drive number. So you should define your first tool with M563 P0 D0 H1 , which is what you will find in all the sample config.g files.

As well as selecting the tool with e.g. T0, you need to either heat up that tool, or enable cold extrusion by sending M302 P1.

Chances are you are getting a message saying either "Attempt to extrude with no tool selected" or "Tool n was not driven because its heaters were not hot enough". If you are using the web interface, go to the Gcode Console page to see these messages.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2016 02:41PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 09, 2016 07:32AM
Hey dc42,

thanks a lot for the quick response and your advices!

I meant selecting the tool by sending T1 (T0 was a typing...). Anyway, I will try it again with the cold extrusion (only the motor is connected) and the correct tool definition (starting from T0, correct drive number..).

cheers!
January 11, 2016 10:21AM
okay everything works fine now! thanks a lot :-)
January 13, 2016 11:09AM
I'm having a similar problem with my extruder not turning, but my movement axes working okay. I'm putting a RepRap duet V0.8.5 onto a Replicator 2.

My firmware is the "RepRapFirmware FIRMWARE_VERSION: 1.09m-dc42 ELECTRONICS: Duet 0.85 DATE: 2015-12-08"

I'm using Slic3r with Pronterface right now and I'm getting very inconsistent behavior, especially day-to-day when I come back to work on it again.

Sometimes I get the "Attempting to extrude with no tool selected." message, sometimes I don't. It seems pretty random like sometimes I have to type T0 after I get the error and it goes away, sometimes it works on the intitial upload with no problem, sometimes it still gives me the error message after I type T0 again. It's literally a crapshoot every time.

Maybe it's because I'm saving my gcode to dropbox which is taking a little bit of time to write over the old file before I quickly load it into Pronterface to test new edits. I think my problem might just be in assigning tools (between the M563 line in the Config.g, and T0 with M563 S1 in the Start gcode), but I don't know where. My extruder basically stays locked during the print and I can't feel it turn except for a moment right when I press print when the current locks it up.

Even today, for example, my Slic3r crashed, I reopen it, reloaded my printer .ini profile bundle, and now the same little cube is printing just the perimeter and not doing any infill while it was fine yesterday...

My config.g file is attached and my start code is simply:

G92 X75 Y75 Z0 E0

M302 P1 ;allows cold extrusion with RepRap, otherwise "M302" alone works

T0 ;selects tool0

;M563 S1 ;allows for tool nomenclature compatibility between Slic3r and RepRap (Tools 0&1 vs Toos 1&2)

I don't even want to do homing yet because my endstops are still screwed up, fortunately for my purposes I don't actually require them to work to get printing.

Any advice on how to properly get the extruder assigned and turning would be greatly appreciated!!
Attachments:
open | download - config.g (2.6 KB)
January 14, 2016 03:27AM
You do not need any M563 commands in your slicer start gcode, only in config.g. Use a T0 command in the slicer start gcode.

One possible source of confusion is that the M0 command you use at the end of a print deselects all tools. If you have T0 at the end of config.g but not in your slicer start gcode, then your first print attempt will succeed but subsequent ones may fail.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login