Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper jams/sticks

Posted by RickRap 
Stepper jams/sticks
May 12, 2015 11:35AM
I replaced my Printrboard controller board due to some mysterious damage (read about it here [forums.reprap.org]).

I flashed the board with the same Marlin firmware I'd used on the previous Printrboard. Everything seemed to work ok (with the exception of the fan). Started a print run and after about 3 layers into it, the steppers started jamming/sticking. Started with the y-axis, but eventually they were all doing it. Could it be the voltage is too high?
Re: Stepper jams/sticks
May 12, 2015 12:14PM
RickRap
I replaced my Printrboard controller board due to some mysterious damage (read about it here [forums.reprap.org]).

I flashed the board with the same Marlin firmware I'd used on the previous Printrboard. Everything seemed to work ok (with the exception of the fan). Started a print run and after about 3 layers into it, the steppers started jamming/sticking. Started with the y-axis, but eventually they were all doing it. Could it be the voltage is too high?

If the cause is the voltage being too high, then the stepper motors will be getting hot.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 12, 2015 01:06PM
will overheating cause them to jam or stick? Or is the voltage basically 'locking' the stepper magnetically? They don't seem to be overheating (staying in the 45c range)
May 12, 2015 05:53PM
Overheating might possibly cause them to stick because of thermal expansion, but I don't know if that actually happens or not. The current only locks the stepper magnetically in the sense that it makes it difficult to turn the stepper by hand when it is energised.

If the motors are missing steps, perhaps the driver chips are overheating?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login