Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Miniature Couplings with variable diameters

Posted by dannybaws 
Miniature Couplings with variable diameters
March 09, 2015 12:46PM
Hello all.

I have been looking into stepper motors and shall be purchasing some soon with a 4mm shaft. I am looking for a small coupling (preferably backlash free etc) that will connect to a 4mm shaft on one end and the other end variable from 4mm to 24mm or if that is too much of a difference, I would consider getting a few seperate couplings. Some that are from say, 4mm to 9mm, and some from 9mm to 15mm and so on. The main point is that they need to be variable to some extent on at least one end, and one end must be able to achieve a grip on a 4mm shaft.

I have been looking online for days, perhaps I'm using the wrong search terms, but most coupling seem to be a fixed size, considering there are clampable couplings I do find this strange. But maybe I am misunderstanding the data sheets.

Does anybody have any guidance of what to search for and any companies I can order them from? Preferably a website with a shopping cart as they all seem to be email orders only. UK or European sites would be preferable also but not a necessity.

Most places I've looked at also seem to be charging around £25 per unit or above, which seems pretty high, considering my stepper motor is about £16. A torque of 1Mn would be more than enough.

Thanks in advance

Dan
Re: Miniature Couplings with variable diameters
March 20, 2015 08:30AM
Hi Dan.

Clamp couplings are either a fixed size bore with a split to clamp onto a shaft or slightly oversized bore with screws to clamp a shaft.

I've not come across any that would adjust as you suggest. Why do you need that range of sizes?

You want to be searching for flexible couplings really. 5mm at the stepper end are plentiful and cheap from the 3D printer suppliers, Ooznest etc. 4mm is not as common, but they are there on the Bay.

a
Re: Miniature Couplings with variable diameters
March 24, 2015 01:25PM
alan richard
Hi Dan.

Clamp couplings are either a fixed size bore with a split to clamp onto a shaft or slightly oversized bore with screws to clamp a shaft.

I've not come across any that would adjust as you suggest. Why do you need that range of sizes?

You want to be searching for flexible couplings really. 5mm at the stepper end are plentiful and cheap from the 3D printer suppliers, Ooznest etc. 4mm is not as common, but they are there on the Bay.

a

Thanks. Yeah, I've realised it was just out of lazyness so I don't need to sort through different sizes. Sometimes the simplest solution is best grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login