Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sourcing stepper motors for Rostock mini pro

Posted by Zxenop 
Sourcing stepper motors for Rostock mini pro
February 27, 2015 04:14PM
Hi to you all,

I'm trying to build my very first 3d printer and I wanted to go for a rostock mini pro, I ordered a RAMPS and arduino (I know not part of the original design, but I wanted to try an arduino for some time now and this seems like the perfect project for it), and for the love of everything sacred, pure and kinda cute I can't find any place to buy stepper motors (figured I would try to get the motors first and test both the RAMPS and those at the same time before moving to the rest).

The wiki page for the RSMP demands 0.55 N-m of torque and this is proving pretty hard to find from trustable sources i.e. not aliexpress/baba, would somebody have a model number or website for me to buy from ?

Secondary question but related: the original Rostock however list 0.45 N-m of torque, would that work too but simply slower ?

EDIT: Forgot to mention I live in Ireland, a shop located in Europe would be nice

Cheers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2015 04:22PM by Zxenop.
Re: Sourcing stepper motors for Rostock mini pro
February 28, 2015 05:47AM
Less torque means less acceleration, that's all. Less acceleration also means more precision. And pretty sure none of the steppers connected to a RepRap controller reaches 55 Ncm anyways.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

February 28, 2015 01:11PM
Typo on the wiki then, any lower limit to that "less torque more precision" rule ?
February 28, 2015 04:19PM
I don't know suppliers in Ireland, but both RepRapPro and Think3DPrint3D in the UK sell stepper motors for 3D printers. See [reprappro.com] and [www.think3dprint3d.com]. But it's often cheaper to buy them on eBay, especially if you can wait for them to be shipped from China.

Traumflug didn't say less torque more precision, he said less acceleration more precision. You can use more torque to get higher acceleration, but you don't have to. So higher torque motors are still good to have.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2015 04:21PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 01, 2015 07:23AM
Zxenop
Typo on the wiki then

Not neccessarily. Reaching nominal torque is possible, at zero RPM, with stepper drivers easily providing the neccessary current.

Zxenop
any lower limit to that "less torque more precision" rule ?

Nope. The less torque, the less forces, the less printer frame bending. Printer frames always bend.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

March 01, 2015 01:38PM
dc42
But it's often cheaper to buy them on eBay, especially if you can wait for them to be shipped from China.
Wouldn't mind the wait, but I'm mostly concerned about reliability, if you know a good Chinese shop on eBay for stepper motors, I'm all ears

dc42
You can use more torque to get higher acceleration, but you don't have to.
Does this mean either the software or firmware have control over the acceleration ? I haven't looked at either yet.

Traumflug
Nope. The less torque, the less forces, the less printer frame bending. Printer frames always bend.
Got it, I'll look for reinforcement to the frame once the printer is finished.
March 01, 2015 02:51PM
Zxenop
dc42
But it's often cheaper to buy them on eBay, especially if you can wait for them to be shipped from China.
Wouldn't mind the wait, but I'm mostly concerned about reliability, if you know a good Chinese shop on eBay for stepper motors, I'm all ears

Sorry, I don't know a good Chinese shop for stepper motors. But I rarely have an issue with Chinese suppliers - I have only ever had one faulty unit from one of them, and they are generally very keen to preserve their eBay reputation so they offer a decent exchange or refund service.

Zxenop
dc42
You can use more torque to get higher acceleration, but you don't have to.
Does this mean either the software or firmware have control over the acceleration ? I haven't looked at either yet.

Yes, the maximum acceleration is configurable in 3D printer firmware.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 01, 2015 04:49PM
Alright sounds reasonable enough, thanks a lot to you both for your assistance
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login