Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

No retract with DRV8825 on Rumba

Posted by razzle 
No retract with DRV8825 on Rumba
February 17, 2015 10:56AM
I have a Type A Machines Series 1 2014 with the Rumba 1.4 controller. It originally came with A4988 drivers on it. I had consistent issues with skipping on the extruder stepper when the driver got hot. Current adjustment and putting a fan on the drivers did not solve the issue consistently. So i purchased some geetech DRV8825 drivers to replace. Now i get very consistent extrusion. But i have lost retract. No matter what direction i send the gcode command to the extruder, either positive or negative, the stepper motor only runs in one direction. I have tried swapping out several DRV8825s and they all behave the same. Put the A4988 back in and the stepper behaves normally with both extrude and retract, but the skipping comes back.

The DRV8825 behaves like the DRV pin is not hooked up. But the A4988 works just fine.
The DRV8825 is installed correctly.
I have reloaded the firmware from TAM for this machine.
I have restarted the printer multiple times.

I am guessing that it is a problem in Marlin with this driver. but i have no idea where to look. Anyone have any idea what might be causing this bizarre problem?
Re: No retract with DRV8825 on Rumba
February 18, 2015 09:00AM
razzle
The DRV8825 behaves like the DRV pin is not hooked up. But the A4988 works just fine.

I guess you mean the Dir pin. This can be masured with a voltage meter. 5V in one direction, 0V in the other. The extruder can be moved with simple G1's, like G1 E10 F500 for moving forward, then G1 E0 to move it back. Typing commands manually is a good idea.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

February 19, 2015 11:55AM
Oops, yes i meant the DIR pin. I will do some testing once my current print ends. But how would the driver chip affect how the Rumba board sends Hi/Lo to the DIR pin? I mean if the A4988 is getting Hi/Lo on the dir pin from the board, wouldn't the DRV8825 get Hi/Lo as well?
February 20, 2015 05:50AM
razzle
I mean if the A4988 is getting Hi/Lo on the dir pin from the board, wouldn't the DRV8825 get Hi/Lo as well?

It should. If it doesn't, something is broken.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login