Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Axis steppers stop after first command

Posted by twofieros 
Axis steppers stop after first command
January 04, 2015 12:42PM
My first post here. Please excuse any mistakes or wrong forum.

I have been searching all over for the solution to my problem. My Printer has been running fine up until now. I have a ORD Solutions MH3000 with 5 nozzles on it. It runs Marlin firmware. I have been modifying it so that I can add a laser cutter to it. After several mistakes while rerouting the liquid cooling system and messing with some nozzles I ended up breaking some thermocouples and thermistors. Since I have so many nozzles and I have upgraded parts coming soon I decided to just continue on and modify the firmware to show less nozzles so that I can eliminate the ones that are giving me issues. I also decided to lower the firmware based maximum travel of each axis.

When I got everything up and running I found I can turn the laser on and off. Great! The nozzles heat up and show correct temps. Great! I can home each axis. Looking good. Now, here's the issue. I can control each axis through pronterface or S3D just fine with one click. Is what I mean is this. Let's say I tell it to move X +10, it does. When I press +10 again, nothing happens. From there if I press +100 it moves +90 and stops at +100 yet S3D thinks it is located at +110. Now, if I press +10 the printer moves -90 to go back to +10 location and S3D thinkings it is located in the correct spot. No matter what, I cannot get the steppers to move in any other way. They home fine from any location. This is happening to all three axis. I'm stumped. I have no idea why this would be happening.

The only things I changed in the firmware were in configuration.h and pins.h. I moved some hot end connections around, I moved thermistor connections around, I changed the nozzle count to 3 (laser is driven off hot end 3), I changed the first two hot ends to a thermistor by changing Temp2 from a -3 to a 2. I changed their max temp to 310 instead of 460. In the pins.h file I reassigned some pins to the temp1 and 2. Finally I assigned the correct pin for the laser.

This printer uses an Azteeg 3x Pro board.

I have attached a copy of the firmware file I modified.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Attachments:
open | download - MH3000_Marlin_TH_V1_1.zip (124.6 KB)
Re: Axis steppers stop after first command
January 04, 2015 01:01PM
While still trouble shooting this I noticed that if I move the Y axis 10 then move Z axis 10 I get a slight movement in the Y axis while the Z is moving.
January 04, 2015 07:37PM
It sounds as if when you command X+10, the printer is interpreting this as a command to move to absolute position X=10 instead of to X=10 relative to the current position. In other words, it is ignoring the G91 command to switch to relative mode that Pronterface is presumably sending it. Perhaps you broke something in Marlin when you modified it. Try sending G1, G91 and G90 commands to pin down the problem - see [reprap.org] for descriptions of these commands.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 05, 2015 11:37AM
dc42 thank you for the reply.

I don't know how I messed that up so I uploaded a known working firmware and it too does the same thing. It must be something else. I'm really stumped. All I did to the board was move some temperature sensors from one slot to another. I also moved a few hot ends from one slot to another. I didn't mess with the extruders.

Today I tried the G commands like you suggested but they didn't make a difference.
January 09, 2015 07:38PM
I don't know what happened that caused my error but I started over with a fresh copy of Marlin and now I'm up and running like I was before. I just thought I would post an update for anyone searching the forums.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login