Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder stepper missing steps..

Posted by Replace 
Extruder stepper missing steps..
December 31, 2014 08:28AM
After 3 years, the stepper motor of my extruder now starts to mis steps or slip.
It is not the gear on the axle, but the motor itself.

It ran 2 years on Gen6 and now over half a year on Ramps. No problems until now.
Prints get lost due to uneven extrusion due to the slip/miss

Even when not slipping, I can now easily hold the main gear by hand to force the slipping.

Can a motor become worn ? Should I consider replacing by a new one ?

Thomas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2014 08:29AM by Replace.

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
Re: Extruder stepper missing steps..
December 31, 2014 09:13AM
It's more likely that the stepper motor driver module that drives that motor has developed a fault. Check the connections are sound, check the current adjustment, and if that doesn't solve the problem, replace the driver.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 01, 2015 08:25AM
Ok, I will try this.

I have some spare stepper drivers in stock.

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
January 01, 2015 09:24AM
No relief :-(

I replaced the extruder polulu, but symptoms are the same,
I canhold te gear without force and when holding the gear, the motor will stall over 1 third of the circumference a few times and than advance.
Even with no filament.

So.. motor after all ?

January 01, 2015 05:48PM
Did you check the current setting?

Stepper motors can jam, and the windings can go open-circuit. There is not much else that can go wrong with them. If you can turn the motor easily in both directions when the current is off, then it is not jammed. You can check that the windings have the correct resistance with a multimeter. Of course, it's also possible that the fault is in the cable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2015 05:49PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 03, 2015 02:46PM
So,

I have replaced the polulu, no refief
Now I have replaced the nema17, same problem persists.

I notice there is a small wobble in the gears with a moment of slightly more friction. However, No real problem with moving by hand.

Is it possible to increase power to the motor to overcome the friction ?
Is power adjustable ? In the polulu or in the firmware ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2015 02:46PM by Replace.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login