Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HP RM1-5677 stepper help!

Posted by dtmacdonald76 
HP RM1-5677 stepper help!
August 05, 2014 03:54PM
Some time ago I gutted a couple of HP printers and salvaged a slew of these steppers and now I would like to use them to make a 3D printer. Problem is, I can't find any technical details on the motors themselves of the IC on them. They appear to be 3 phase and I assume the PCB on the back is some sort of on board drivers, hopefully negating the need for separate driver boards. The picture is taken from an eBay site selling the same things but lacking any tech details. Can anyone here help shed some light on this?
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpg (46.5 KB)
Re: HP RM1-5677 stepper help!
August 10, 2014 03:57PM
Okay, so here is more info that hopefully someone can use to help me better understand what I have:

After doing some online shopping for driver boards and instructables on making them, I'm about 90% positive that the PCB on the back is indeed the driver circuit for the motor. Without taking the board off the motor and tracing every connection, I can tell from what is visible that there are three MOSFET circuits connected directly to the coils, which indicates it is quite possibly three phase, though apparently those are not used very often.
The cable connector has 8 pins, of which I have been to determine Vcc and GND through the visible traces on the board and the orientation of the capacitor and diodes. When I connected those to a 12V 2A (max) power supply, I was able to get voltage readings across the other pins using a bread board and jumper wires.

From the remaining 6 pins, it appears as though one puts approximately 8VDC positive while the other 5 serve as the corresponding ground to that....

Interwebs is so far not useful for an authoritative pinout of the board, data sheets for the IC (AM6807 by Amtek and yes, I have emailed the company), or specifics as to operating voltages, etc. HP partssurfer only lists the motor assembly as a whole and mentions no techicals on the motors themselves.

Its been nearly a week now, several people have viewed this thread, can anyone provide ANY insight or feed back? The primary reason I would like to use these motors is that it would mean that (theoretically) not have order separate driver circuits...
Re: HP RM1-5677 stepper help!
August 18, 2014 01:08PM
Hm, firstly am not sure if it is a stepper motor, as even in ebay it only states that it is a drive motor. Couple good quality photos of PCB also might help.
The only thing I can think of is to try searching for similar IC in the same package as AM6807.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login