Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper motor issue

Posted by ts87 
Stepper motor issue
June 24, 2014 02:42AM
Hi all smiling smiley so i am building a 3d printer of my own. So far i have Sanguinololu 1.3a and extruder with 1 stepper motor. I think i programmed the chip on the board properly. When i test the heat bed and extruder temperatures i am able to reach them and the board is controling this temp. When i connect the stepper motor to the board i see behaviour that concerns me. What happens is that i can move the motor in one direction with the smaller steps. If i try the bigest step or reverse i hear some whistling sound from the motor itself. I wonder if this is due to lack of voltage. I have connected the board to 12V pc power supply as i think it should be. Any advise will be appritiated.

PS. Could it be a driver issue? I bought the stepper mottor drivers with the board itself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2014 02:43AM by ts87.
Re: Stepper motor issue
June 24, 2014 05:53AM
If the firmware upload was ok or not, thats not a matter of guessing, the arduino will verify the upload and give you an "ok" message at the end, if you can read that then its ok.

When the motor can move slowly to one direction and not to the other direction, thats a typical situation of a wrong endstop configuration. What happens is the firmware thinks the endstop is triggered, so it will try run the opposite direction to escape from it. So it will move to one direction at slow speed, while it will refuse to move to the other direction because it thinks that the direction where triggered endstop is. Try re-check your endstops configuration.
June 24, 2014 06:15AM
Thank you for the answer. I actually have not connected the 3 endstop switches yet. I was just testing the board with different components, but the switches i have not tested yet. If i understand you properly i should connect them and proceed the testing when everything is connected.
June 24, 2014 06:20AM
The mechanical endstops normally work by using NC, meaning they always sink the 5v from pin to gnd, and the firmware is able to read 0v on its pin. If they get triggered they disconnect the line and the pin jumps to 5v. So ofc that if endstops are missing, that is exactly same thing as them being triggered. So yes connect the endstops and test everything when its completed.
June 24, 2014 07:49AM
Thank you. As i said i am new in this, but i appritiate the help smiling smiley I will post the result when i test.
June 25, 2014 09:44AM
I did the test with the end stops and it works ok now smiling smiley I guess the only thing left is to assemble the whole thing, calibrate and start printing smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login