Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Looking for sub 50gram standard stepper ?

Posted by Chri 
Looking for sub 50gram standard stepper ?
June 18, 2014 02:38PM
Hy guy`s

I`m already printing very successfull with my Nema14 geared extruders (+400mm/s) but i want to make the extruder even more lightweight without switching to a bowden extruder.
i already have a 23gramm stepper i want to try and it should work with my gearing calculations, but this is not a standardized part like the NEMA`s. (Nema 8 is still too heavy for my goal of <50g)

is there any other type of standardization like NEMA which from i can choose a range of different models ?
Or are there any other Maker-groups using a specific type of stepper very often ? (maybe in the robotic surrounds?)

Chri

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2014 02:41PM by Chri.

[chrisu02.wordpress.com] Quadmax Intel Delid Tools
Re: Looking for sub 50gram standard stepper ?
July 22, 2014 08:56PM
NEMA is the only motor size/configuration standard that I've found so far. NEMA 8 is the smallest I've found yet.

I'm curious what you found. I've noticed a few things on motors, decreasing weight decreases torque precipitously. I couldn't find anything below 120grams that I thought was worth using, the amount of torque generated per unit weight went down too far. Maybe you've found something good.

Increasing RPM beyond a certain point so you can get torque by gear reduction also decreases torque.

The geared NEMA 14 motor I have is 270 grams. The metal gearbox adds weight, and the motor itself is longer than an average NEMA17 too. Said motor is about as heavy as an average NEMA17 motor.

So it's a hard fight finding something that will deliver the desired performance at a low weight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2014 09:03PM by JRDM.
Re: Looking for sub 50gram standard stepper ?
August 04, 2014 02:37PM
Yes i know the Nema 8`s, but they are still to heavy compaired to the force

We use 175gram Nema 14 1.8Nm geared extruder since long time for the +400mm/s on 1,75mm ABS bowden but i want to go back to a direct extruder as its just more exact than a bowden.

270grams for a Nema 14 is very heavy eye popping smiley

The stepper i found is an oddment? so it`s not really good for developing a new extruder especially with 18° per step which require a very high gear ratio which is difficult to create with printed parts.

Chri

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2014 03:45PM by Chri.

[chrisu02.wordpress.com] Quadmax Intel Delid Tools
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login