Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Specs for Stepper Motors?

Posted by TripleD 
Specs for Stepper Motors?
May 26, 2014 08:12PM
What specs should I look for when buying stepper motors for 3d printer. Will a NEMA17 motor with the following specs work well?
Current: 1.2A
Stepping angle: 1.8°
Working voltage: DC 5V
Phase resistance: 2.5 Ω
Moment of force: 2.6kg.cm
Re: Specs for Stepper Motors?
May 27, 2014 07:31AM
Yes. 5V or less is good. But not enough torque for high speed printing.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

May 31, 2014 03:37AM
On the same topic - the voltage for the steppers is not mentioned in many of the pages of the Prusa i3 builds. The Ramps 1.4 circuit diagram shows 12V supply on the drivers, but many kits I have found on ebay use stepper with lower voltages (2.8V for example). So my question is what is the 'best' voltage for the steppers assuming the other parameters (torque, stepping angle) are similar.

On a similar topic I have 5 steppers rated at 12V but NEMA 23 which were dismantled from some old equipment, unfortunately I do not have the exact specs for torque but the stepping angle is 1.8°. I am considering using these, as I am on a tight budget, would it be possible to use them with a few changes to the build (attachment of motors because of larger size)?
May 31, 2014 05:57AM
On label the physical properties are the coil resistance and max current. The voltage is supposed to be a relation of these two in a context where the motor would be supplied with dc voltage. But its not supplied with dc voltage, because the driver outputs a special high freqency (khz) voltage. Driver also senses coil current and limits it at a point set by the user with an adjustable pot on the driver. So it can have higher votlage because the driver will still sense the current and will interrupt the current peak, coils will not get more currrent than allowed, regardless of voltage. In this context users can supply much higher voltages, which helps coils energize faster, helps the motor to run better at higher speed.

So on short, a motor 2,8v label run at 12v psu, that is quite ok, and probably around what most ppls use or should use. Hard to say just from the voltage, but probably motors with 12v label run at 12v psu, these are probably not good.
May 31, 2014 09:13AM
Understood.

Many thanks for your reply.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login