Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Inconsistent Movement on X and Y

Posted by dexterousfolder 
Inconsistent Movement on X and Y
May 21, 2014 05:27PM
Ok, so I've finally got my Prusa i3 built and wired, but now the issue of movement arises. At first, I couldn't get anything to move except the extruder, and that very jerkily. I found that by turning down the speed of the extruder a tad in Repetier host, I could get it to run smoothly. However, the axis motors were not as cooperative. I went through the whole routine of adjusting the trimpots, to no avail. The motors only buzzed and perhaps vibrated a bit when commanded to move. Then, I came across part of a tutorial that involved adjusting the steps per revolution. So I dove into the firmware to see if that might help. I changed it from {80, 80, 3200/0.8, 700} to {40, 40, 2000/0.8, 700}. This gave me movment, but not correctly. The y and x axis moved 5 cm when they should have moved 1, and z continued refusing to move. I fiddled with the numbers for a while before giving up at {43, 46, 1100, 700}. This game me tiny jerks on z, and inconsistent movement on x and y. To elaborate, if I repeatedly told it to move 10 mm in the + direction, the axis would move 10, then 2, then 7, 15, 3, 10, 11, etc. same for both x and y. However, moving -, telling it to move 10 mm at a time would get 20mm, up to 50 mm. I cleaned and then lubricated the rods, as the movement seemed more consistent towards the middle of the range, which helped slightly.
I'm at a bit of a wall here. Thoughts?
Re: Inconsistent Movement on X and Y
May 24, 2014 11:59PM
What params in config are you changing? Acceleration or Max_acceleration ? or what?
Seems like with the results your reporting maybe the steps_per param could help.
At least your getting movement - you're ahead of me.

You may want to post your problem in the Mendel and Prusa (http://forums.reprap.org/list.php?151) forum.
May 25, 2014 12:54PM
I'm using sprinter, and The parameter I'm modifiying here is steps per unit.
float axis_steps_per_unit[] = {40, 40, 3000/0.8, 700};
Thanks for the heads up, I'll try that forum.
May 25, 2014 06:13PM
SOLVED: Turns out my steppers were taking full steps instead of 1/16th steps. Fixed by putting jumpers on the pins under neath the steppers. You'd think that would be in the electronics manual...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login