Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ca you Run two steppers off the same driver

Posted by Staffordknot 
Ca you Run two steppers off the same driver
February 21, 2014 04:24AM
Hi I hope u can help me?

Can i run two stepper motors off the same SD8825 driver?

My z axis and x axis need two steppers each and my y one but I only have 4 stepper motor controllers free. I don't want to go down the route of slave boards.

Can i just take the one output to two steppers?

Will the drivers get to hot?

Thanks all
Re: Ca you Run two steppers off the same driver
February 21, 2014 05:49AM
Hi, you can run two steppers like in prusa Z axis, meaning both steppers will be synchronized and make same moves.

Steppers should be exact same type and model. You can wire the steppers two ways, in series or in parallel. In series (recommended), you take first coil of first motor and put it in series with first coil of second motor. And again similar series connection for the other one. The motors current is better balanced because same current travels in both of them. In parallel you just basically put the motors in parallel, that is same of saying coils are in parallel. The parallel connection is useful just if motor coils have too high resistance, e.g. 30ohm motor coil if put in series would of had 60ohms and that is too much. Hence series connection would limit the current drastically, hence the parallel connection gets useful. In case of normal reprap motors with coil resistance relatively low, like 1-2-3 ohms, in this case use series connection which is somewhat better.
February 21, 2014 09:53AM
How do i check the resistance of my coils just with a multimeter set to resistance then across the coils? Cheers
February 21, 2014 10:15AM
yup like that
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login