Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper making noises but not moving very much

Posted by loskiorama 
Stepper making noises but not moving very much
January 29, 2014 11:01PM
Hey guys,

I got this arduino mega/ramps/pololu combo [www.ebay.com] from china last week.
Put everything together (as every single piece was separate) and tested.

The result wasn't very pleasent. I have the same problem with all my motors on that ramps. They make a noise and then (some of them) turn violently when I try to move them using Repetier's manual control interface.
I tested the same ramps with a different pololu (that I have form another ramps on a working printer) and I had the same result.

Here is the video

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks is advance!
Re: Stepper making noises but not moving very much
January 30, 2014 05:52AM
wow, I don't think you are suppose to turn the trimpots by that much. they are not suppose to turn more than 360 degrees, you may have already killed it.

in any case, try turning down speed. it might be too fast for the motors to react.
January 30, 2014 07:11AM
Tried tweaking the flowrate and feedrate without much success. Different sound but same behavior
January 30, 2014 08:31AM
I had the same problem. I thought I knew how the coils were supposed to be connected to the drivers but apparently I didn't. Be sure that you have two wires that read a resistance together on the pins that say 1A and 1B or 2 A and 2B. I thought that one coil was supposed to attach to both of the B's and the other to both A's but this is wrong. When I had it connected this way the motors produced a lot vibration and didn't rotate.

Hope this helps.
January 30, 2014 01:52PM
chngyian
wow, I don't think you are suppose to turn the trimpots by that much. they are not suppose to turn more than 360 degrees, you may have already killed it.
It depends on the pot and if it has end stops. I have two different types of clones and both types have pots that rotate a full 360. As you turn them up and down they change value until you reach this magical spot where the resistance jumps min<->max depending on which way you were turning. The first time I tried to use them I read the instructions that said something like "turn down to the minimum value" and I was like "WTF there is no minimum it just spins and spins and spins."
January 30, 2014 07:47PM
guys! i discovered what the problem was
i had to put the jumpers that go under the pololus. there are 3 jumpers per motor connection

Thanks for you help!! smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login