Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NEMA 17 Stepper Motors

Posted by luillo1 
NEMA 17 Stepper Motors
December 22, 2013 04:14PM
Hi, I am currently building my first rep rap, and decided to go with the Prusa Mendel i3 rework. I'm having difficulties deciding witch stepper to buy. I was looking into buying this one: [www.alltronics.com]
But I don't know if it has enough power, or if it has too little. I am using the StepStick A4988 Stepper Driver and RAMPS 1.4 any help will be apreciated!
Re: NEMA 17 Stepper Motors
December 23, 2013 10:56AM
Ok, this is what - the third or fourth thread you have started asking exactly the same question? That's not really the right way to do things. It makes for a lot of clutter and it fragments the replies. There is no way others can get anything useful from the information you come up with.

The answer is still the same as in the other threads, that motor pulls more current than it should to be the best alternative on an i3. There are cheaper motors that will work better for you. The details are the same as in those other threads.

What is there about the Alltronics stepper that makes it attractive to you? You keep asking about it, so there must be a reason you have latched on to it rather than any of the other thousands of motors out there.

Are you confused about amps? Motor power is not rated in amps, it's rated in torque. High current motors are *not* high power motors. You can get the same torque at a number of different current levels. You match the torque to the printer. You match the current to the driver. They are independent variables. There is no need to go to high current to get the proper torque.
December 23, 2013 12:27PM
Sorry uncle bob, since this is my first experience with the forums, I didn't know where to post this topic. So I posted it on the places I thought the right people would read it, like you, and help me. In fact I already ordered the steppers you recommended! I'm sorry for the confusion. I am really grateful for your help, and hope you will help me in any other question I have since you clearly know a lot about the subject!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2013 12:27PM by luillo1.
December 26, 2013 06:01PM
The only real problem is that now the answers and the information are scattered all over the place. In some cases the replies to the threads use information from other threads. That will make it hard for others to gain from the information that's been hashed out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login