Advanced

Drivers / Stepper motors compatibilty

Posted by loskiorama 
Drivers / Stepper motors compatibilty
November 23, 2013 07:08AM
hey guys,

I'm looking into sourcing my parts from china so I came into this
I plan to buy this ramps/mega/drivers combo and this stepper motors
My question is if the drivers will be compatible with the motors and what should I check for driver-motor compatibilty?

Thanks!
Re: Drivers / Stepper motors compatibilty
November 23, 2013 08:03AM
That's a pretty similar setup to the one I'm running ( in terms of drivers and motors ) they're not a perfect match but they're probably close enough. The A4988 can do 1A without a heatsink, up to 2A with, your motor is rated for 1.7A so with an additional heatsink that should be OK but you will have to watch the motor and driver temperature as the driver is capable of delivering enough current to harm the motor if you turn it up all the way.

Prussa i2 Comissioned 4-Nov-2013
Bitcoin : 1Jcrg5czBtNfKyS4sCjFAamJTcSYdTGk9h
Re: Drivers / Stepper motors compatibilty
November 23, 2013 11:16AM
The chips are rated for 2A if they are on a perfect heat sink and a very heavy multi layer pc board. Some of the chip's heat goes into the heat sink. Most of it *should* go into the pc board through thermal via's under the chip. You can move a *lot* of heat with a multi layer board and good via patterns. The little modules you get with the chips on them are far from ideal pc boards and the heat sinks are very small.

The heat in the chip goes up as the square of the current. It's going to need 4X the cooling at 2A as it does at 1A. The chip will shut down to protect it's self, but it does this well above the temperature you should be operating it at. They set the cutout point to take care of catastrophic failures. It's not there for normal operation. People have reported cut out issues with these drivers in the 1.2 to 1.5A range. That would suggest in their case that operation above about 1A probably isn't a good idea.

Nothing says you have to run the motors at their max current (or that it's a good idea to do so). The real question is whether you will get enough torque running those motors at half current.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login