Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ok I think I made a mistake buying these

Posted by chaosbc 
Ok I think I made a mistake buying these
November 05, 2013 05:04PM
Hello there
I wanted to build a repstrap... so ...with too much precipitation I bought those three unipolar (6 wires) Japanese 1,8° Mineabea stepper motors.

23KM-K036-18D shaft OD is 8mm ==>so this looks 36 volts (ok big mistake here)
23KM-K112-P3V shaft OD is 6mm ==> it seems to be 12v
23KM-K036-P10V shaft OD is 6mm==> yet another 36volts (oh my my my...)

My question : is there something to be done with all of this or is it better to end with this stupid money saving attemp and buying a reprap kit ?
thank you.
(forgive my english, I do my best but I remain a frog eater despite of all my tries)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2013 05:06PM by chaosbc.
Re: Ok I think I made a mistake buying these
November 05, 2013 08:52PM
Ummm .... errrr.... Normal rep rap drivers and supply voltages are not going to be happy with those steppers.
November 06, 2013 08:17AM
I assumed more beefy power supply can be found but indeed drivers was where I had more concern.
Well, thank you for your answer, I thing I will get a reprap kit somewhere...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2013 08:17AM by chaosbc.
November 06, 2013 01:49PM
There are a lot of people selling four wire steppers with reasonable voltage ratings on them, proper body dimensions, right torque ratings, and the right shaft diameters. With what you have you still need to buy strange drivers and multiple power supplies. You also need one or two more motors. It's probbaly cheaper just to get a set of 4 or 5 that all play nice.
November 08, 2013 05:51PM
Since you did bought them, i suppose you have them, get hold of a multimeter and measure their coil resistance, takes some 2-3 mins, in comparison to spending few hours looking for a datasheet which isnt quite available or even so, still not being 100% sure after.
November 09, 2013 07:03PM
Unless you are going to run > 16 volts on the Ramps, even the "12V" motor will have issues. The 36 volt motors will not be happy at the max voltages the Ramps board (and the steppers) can handle.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login