Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper Motors won't turn

Posted by ArthurHelsloot 
Stepper Motors won't turn
October 15, 2013 10:32AM
So I build this Prusa Mendel I2 printer using the full kit from Charlie's 3d Technologies.
After assembly I really wanted to upload the firmware and simply make the printer move. Unfortunately it wasn't that simple.
I uploaded the Repetier firmware and tried to control my printer using Repetier host, but it didn't work. I only got the fan to blow and the heated bed and hot end to head up, but I could not move the motors. I tried to get them turning by adjusting the pot on the stepper drivers, but without positive result. Later I tried using Sprinter or Marlin, but still the same result. I also tried using Pronterface in stead of Repetier host, but still nothing.
I know there are a lot of people with the same problem, who posted their problems on the internet. I found a lot of solutions, but non of them worked for me. I've been searching the web for days and I can't find a working solution for my problem. I really hope somebody could help me.
Here is some information about my printer:
I am using Ramps 1.4, Nema 17 stepper motors and Pololu A4988 Stepper Motor Drivers. The power supply didn't come with the kit, so I use a old pc power supply, rated 12V max 15A. I tested the power supply on a cd drive, so I know it works. I am using an MK2a heated bed, two 100 ohms thermistors and mechanical end stops. All is connected.
To solve this problem I have tried to follow instructions on how to install the firmware and what adjustments to make in the configuration.h file, but no positive results. Therefor I do not think software is the problem. I also tried disconnecting the endstops and switching the stepper motor's wires, but still no changes. My motors are wired as follows:
2B blue
2A red
1A green
1B black
There is a connection inside the motors between the blue and the red wires and between the green and black wires.
When I tell one of motors to move, the X motor just lightly vibrates (you only feel this when your hand touches the motor) and the Z, Y and E motors don't react at all. When I press extrude in pronterface, it says 'echo: cold extrusion prevented'

I hope I gave you enough information to find me a solution, because I'm really desperate for one.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention I also tried the ramps test firmware, but that gives the same result.
Furthermore, I am Dutch, so my apologies for my crapy English.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2013 03:54PM by ArthurHelsloot.
Re: Stepper Motors won't turn
October 23, 2013 07:00AM
It all sounds good.

I would check that you have 12v going into both the 11amp and the 5amp part of the ramps , and not 5v into the 5amp connector. This wont hurt it, but wont work.

Also check your pololu driver are in correct way! Find the 4 tracks going to the steppers, they are normally nice and thick, and make sure they are closest side to the motor plugs. eg here [www.pololu.com] on a real pololu you can see the thick tracks on the right,
October 25, 2013 03:57AM
Thanks for your reaction!
I already checked the input amperage and voltage. Those are exactly as they are supposed to be.
In the mean time I found a solution.
It turns out the stepper drivers where the problem. I did put them in the correct way, but I somehow managed to solder all of them in such a way they did not connect as they are supposed to. I soldered all of them again and I got 3 of them working now. The other two are either burned or broken in some other way, so I ordered a new one.
Again thanks for your reaction.
December 09, 2013 12:51AM
Looks like you have your wiring wrong
"
2B blue
2A red
1A green
1B black
"

Its suppose to be :
red
blue
green
black

So you would have had the opposite polarity for one of your phases, which would explain why the motor was vibrating. This could have led to your motors dying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2013 12:52AM by Spenc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login