Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper motors will not move no matter what

Posted by weinerman2594 
Stepper motors will not move no matter what
March 14, 2017 08:20PM
I'm extremely new to 3D printing but do have a working knowledge. I am running RAMPS 1.4 with Repetier firmware and absolutely nothing will make my stepper motors move. I bought a new controller and a new LCD (the RepRapDiscount Full Graphics Smart Controller) after my old controller broke (due to my accidentally switching the live and ground wires, which blew that controller) and was able to get the LCD configured and working with the Repetier firmware. My x-axis motor moved once (to the left) when I powered on the printer for the very first time with my old controller, and then never moved again. The firmware uploads to the board fine, and I've been trying to connect the four wires of the x-axis motor (I just chose one to focus on until I got it working) in different configurations to the board and have been using both the manual RepetierHost controls and the LCD controls and nothing will make this motor move. Its displayed position will change on the LCD and on my computer but the motor itself does nothing. It doesn't even get hot or make noise, though the motor itself does not seem to be damaged because when I connect an LED to its wires and manually turn the motor, the LED lights up (its an old test I found online). Could it be that theres something wrong with the way I configured my firmware? Are there any common settings that I might have missed when configuring the firmware that would make the motors not move?
Re: Stepper motors will not move no matter what
March 14, 2017 10:03PM
Many things are needed for movement

12v on the 12v 5amp power input on the ramps is essential (not 5v, as many have accidentally done)
Having some sort of working stepper driver modules plugged into the correct location on the ramps
Setting the micro stepping jumpers on the ramps (under each stepper motor driver, 3 jumpers, all should be on)
Setting the current limiting pot on the stepper drivers
The mega programmed with a firmware that is setup for a ramps board
Stepper motors wired correctly onto the ramps.
End stops setup and working correctly.

Firstly let eliminate the the firmware and anything you could have done there
Download and upload to the mega the ramps test firmware from [reprap.org]
This test firmware is only for the ramps, so you cant miss configure it
This will ignore all end stops and make all motors move backwards and forwards.
NB it will also turn on both hot end and heated bed without temperature control, so leave these un plugged or risk a burning.

Check those micro stepping jumpers exist.

Check you have 12v on the 12v 5amp plug

Power up the ramps with external 12v on with the test firmware. does anything happen?

take a clear photo of you current controller and post it here, so we can see if there is anything obvious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2017 10:04PM by Dust.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login