Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Y Axis stepper erratic/vibrating/static while printing

Posted by naples 
Y Axis stepper erratic/vibrating/static while printing
October 19, 2011 05:23PM
I am trying to make my first print. I am using Pronterface and all the axis (not sure how you spell the plural of axis so that's my stab at it) except the Y axis move fine when printing. The Y axis just vibrates or occasionally moves erractically. I have it calibrated according to Spacexula's videos. It's causing the PLA to be extruded in one line over and over the same place.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be going on here? have I burned out the motor somehow?

Thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2011 05:38PM by naples.
Re: Y Axis stepper erratic/vibrating/static while printing
October 20, 2011 06:04AM
Sounds like a mis-wired motor. First, unplug a motor only after turning the power supply off.

Then, try to exchange axes. Plug the X motor into the Y plug and see whether it works there as well. Then change others and see where the error goes. This way you can find out what the erratic part is.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

October 20, 2011 03:15PM
Thanks Traumflug. Did as you suggested and the issue appeared with the x axis. So at least I know the motors are all fine. It must be something to do with the software or firmware....but I can't figure out what that something is....
October 31, 2011 10:22AM
Check your potentiometer on the driver board. You might just be under the power required to make it to the next step? Just a shot in the dark. Maybe swapping out the driver boards will tell you more?
November 26, 2011 12:20PM
Also if you are running off an ATX supply try loading the 5V line at least .5 amp worth. My motors vibrated badly till I added the power resistor to the 5V line. Now they are smooth as silk.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login