Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Choosing a Crimping Tool?

Posted by Dalius98 
Choosing a Crimping Tool?
September 23, 2016 12:19PM
Hello. Could anyone recommend me a decent crimping tool? I need one to crimp Molex KK pins (Open Barrel Un-insulated Crimps?), but an option with changeable jaws in order to crimp other types of connectors would be perfect. I hear ratchet type tools are preferred?
Looking for something in the 20-50€ range, but any tips are welcome - maybe they will help someone else. Any comments about Chinese tool quality?

This might not be the best forum to ask in, but I figure most of us here are electronics hobbyists/professionals with valuable experience. smiling smiley
Re: Choosing a Crimping Tool?
September 28, 2016 11:07AM
I've had a Paladin PA1645 in my toolbox for 20 years or so, and I'm pretty spoiled by it. That's almost 3 times your price range, though. At work I've used a Hilitchi crimper and it does a good job too. I think you can get those for $20 from Amazon.

A ratchet-type is definitely the way to go.
September 28, 2016 12:54PM
I have a different crimp tool, however the HT-225D is generally reckoned to be suitable for Molex KK series crimps. It's widely available on eBay and elsewhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2016 12:55PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 28, 2016 01:36PM
I appreciate the comments, however currently I have a different approach in mind - I've heard good things about Engineer PA-09 and I am thinking of buying those (or PA-21) plus a general no-name self-adjusting crimper for ferrules.

The Hilitchi stuff looks like all the other Chinese crimpers though - is it really any good/different? As for HT-225D's, I've seen people recommending these on other forums, but I did not manage to find any replacement dies for them - that's a bit of a let-down...

Now I have another question. Crimpers for these openbarrel crimps have to be pretty precise in order to crimp the "wings" properly, but how about other types, such as closed barrel ones? There are dozen of different crimpers and dies for them on aliexpress - if the precision is not as important for other types of crimps, maybe it would be worth it to have a set of ratcheting type crimpers just for those type of connectors?

Now if someone would tell me that those "manual" Engineer crimpers are not worth it, and the HT-225D (or anything else) works just as well... well, he would save me some money smiling smiley
September 28, 2016 03:05PM
Unless you intent to crimp several thousand terminals, you shouldn't need replacement dies.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 29, 2016 02:45AM
dc42
Unless you intent to crimp several thousand terminals, you shouldn't need replacement dies.
Oh, by replacement I meant different type of dies, for different connectors. Sorry for the confusion.
September 29, 2016 03:33AM
I am using the Engineer crimpers and am perfectly happy with them.

Lykle
September 29, 2016 01:56PM
Engineer PA-09 thumbs up
I love this tool!

Triffid Hunter's Calibration Guide --> X <-- Drill for new Monitor Most important Gcode.
September 29, 2016 02:03PM
Lykle

Lykle
Wurstnase
Engineer PA-09 thumbs up
I love this tool!

Ok, a question for Engineer users: Did you need to use the smallest size "crimping die" (the one labeled 1.0 on PA-09) at any time? Trying to decide between PA-09 and PA-21...
October 01, 2016 04:48AM
For the dupont crimps I'm using the middle ones.

Triffid Hunter's Calibration Guide --> X <-- Drill for new Monitor Most important Gcode.
October 08, 2016 08:05AM
Dalius98
Lykle

Lykle
Wurstnase
Engineer PA-09 thumbs up
I love this tool!

Ok, a question for Engineer users: Did you need to use the smallest size "crimping die" (the one labeled 1.0 on PA-09) at any time? Trying to decide between PA-09 and PA-21...

I have the PA-09 here, great tool! Crimping with it is more fiddly since it's a 2-step process. But, since you can see how the metal is being bent, you get a good feel of how much force is needed instead of squeezing and hoping for the best. The 1.0 die is the main reason i got it - very few hobbyist crimping tools can do 1.25mm connectors. For really big connectors most cheap chinese tools work well enough since manufacturing precision is not as important there. A lot of smaller fans and consumer gear use 1.25mm connectors like the ones in the linked picture so to me the PA-09 is a better choice. Especially if you're repairing consumer electronics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2016 08:06AM by Nprod.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login